• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Trailers, Toy Haulers, Etc!

gyro

GSN Contributor
That's awesome! Congrats :)

Your going to love the ease of bringing planes to the field that way

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well... On my last road trip to Tulsa, I had one of my ceiling retaining straps break on each leg of the trip... Both times the suspended plane fell. No damage the first time, but on the way home I lost a canopy from a puncture/crush.

So time to think up a new way, and this is what I did:

First, 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC "L" brackets made and affixed to the side wall.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416366807.593660.jpg

The neat thing is they fold flat so I can easily move about the trailer securing the bottom planes first.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416366851.231123.jpg

Then, covered in foam rubber, and some moving blanket affixed to the side wall just in case.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416366882.563067.jpg

Test fit, all looks good.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416366899.822832.jpg

Finally, a foam covered bungee strap to keep the plane from sliding around too much.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416366948.246226.jpg

This rig is holding the EF 74" Laser in these pics, and I'm confident it'll work for any 35cc and below plane... what do you think? Am I crazy for not putting a screw into the brackets just in case the end cap on the top fails? Obviously they'd then be locked outward...

3dbandit

100cc
Well... On my last road trip to Tulsa, I had one of my ceiling retaining straps break on each leg of the trip... Both times the suspended plane fell. No damage the first time, but on the way home I lost a canopy from a puncture/crush.

So time to think up a new way, and this is what I did:

First, 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC "L" brackets made and affixed to the side wall.
View attachment 31399

The neat thing is they fold flat so I can easily move about the trailer securing the bottom planes first.
View attachment 31400

Then, covered in foam rubber, and some moving blanket affixed to the side wall just in case.
View attachment 31401

Test fit, all looks good.
View attachment 31402

Finally, a foam covered bungee strap to keep the plane from sliding around too much.
View attachment 31403

This rig is holding the EF 74" Laser in these pics, and I'm confident it'll work for any 35cc and below plane... what do you think? Am I crazy for not putting a screw into the brackets just in case the end cap on the top fails? Obviously they'd then be locked outward...

I would put a screw that doesn't pass all the way through the PVC, just far enough to keep the tubes from sliding down. I would put the screw between the top two metal bracket fixtures to maintain full rotation.

You could also use a screw passing through the caps and tubes...

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
I would put a screw that doesn't pass all the way through the PVC, just far enough to keep the tubes from sliding down. I would put the screw between the top two metal bracket fixtures to maintain full rotation.

You could also use a screw passing through the caps and tubes...

Both are perfect suggestions Jacob, I'll do them both tomorrow.

many thanks!

AKfreak

150cc
If it was me, I would take some PVC caps and drill them for some eyelets. Then add some cable and come carabiners (for quick disconnect) to make a cable brace. That pipe can work harden and snap over time. The cables if loaded a little could take the stress off the 90° elbows.

GAry-Plane-Rack.jpg

gyro

GSN Contributor
If it was me, I would take some PVC caps and drill them for some eyelets. Then add some cable and come carabiners (for quick disconnect) to make a cable brace. That pipe can work harden and snap over time. The cables if loaded a little could take the stress off the 90° elbows.

View attachment 31407

Smart!

I'm going to do that as well. I was worried about stress on the elbows. thanks Tom!

gyro

GSN Contributor
I followed Jacob and Tom's advice, and I'm really happy with the results. Much more stable!

Screws in the caps, elbows, and in between the top to brackets. Used eyelets and push clips for the suspension. Worked perfect.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416540593.202560.jpg

Even added a rack on the front wall for the wings.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416540614.995219.jpg