• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Top Flite P-40 Build Thread

luciuswillson

New to GSN!
I really like that engine because of the ability to throw a three blade prop. I have reservations about the cooling though. Looking at the plane the other night it seems the airflow through the cowl would miss the RCV all together leading to a hot engine. Do you feel over heating would be a problem? If so, are you planning to make any mods to try to shuttle more air to the engine. I though maybe some type of ramp in the cowl possibly? I am more nervous about heat living in the south where heat and humidity can be really high.

Charles

70cc twin V2
Great if you need to know anything dont hesitate to let me know. just take your time you are looking at about a 200hr build but if you follow the plans and instructions it should go smoothly. I hope my build log helps you avoid any of the problems I had.

Charles

70cc twin V2
To address the cooling I added a cut out under the top air scoop and a deflector to direct air down onto the top of the engine and also a deflector behind the lower air scoop to direct air up from below. This should be plenty to assure the engine doesnt overheat. I live on the Gulf Coast and it gets hotter here than just about anywhere except Arizona.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charles

70cc twin V2
Have the first coat of glass on the bottom of wing. 20150227_143048_resized.jpg

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Man that's looking nice! You are one very patient person! I just couldn't do it.... I tip my hat to you.

Charles

70cc twin V2
20150303_190144_resized.jpg20150303_201252_resized.jpgI turned the wing over and glassed the top of the wing this evening. I will trim the excess and sand the edbes tomorrow and put on a second coat. adding 50% denatured alcohol really makes the epoxy brush on smoothly and helps the cloth lay down good on the balsa and it saoks into the balsa and makes for a really strong surface.

Last edited by a moderator: