• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

throttle curve for Da 150L on Re3s

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
Hey Brian... sure.

Piped motors are all about setup. First the length of the headers are in direct relation to the load of the prop. So, in general terms for a DA150/170, we run 10/12 pitch props... so the bigger the diameter the longer the pipes need to be. The 12" header on the 150 should be ok with a 32X10.

Next, set the low end (needle closest to the motor) at about 5/8 turns out from closed. Set the top end (needle farthest away from the motor), to 2 turns out from closed.

On a piped motor setup like you have, if it's a light switch the top end is usually rich. What happens is the carb goes rich before the motor gets on the pipe, and bogs... then it gets on the pipe, clears out and runs to the moon... and you're chasing it with the throttle stick.

Once you set the needles, fly it and see how it is. Don't be afraid to adjust it... it won't take much... 1/8 of a turn. Start with the bottom end, make sure it transitions from idle to half throttle. If it bogs open up the bottom the with of the screwdriver. Once it transitions well. Put it in the air.

If it still has a really bad jump on to the pipe, land... and lean the top end a width of the screwdriver at a time.

It will be very close to the settings i gave you to start with.

Once the tuning is done, it's time to do a curve. You'll need a point curve. Does the DX8 have a point curve? I don't remember.

Assuming it does, you'll see the linear line from bottom left to top right. I'd start with the stick about 1/3 from idle and put a point there, and another at about 3/4. Flatten the points in between, so it doesn't open the carb so quickly. Also, you'll probably want the first third to come up quicker. The engine is kind of lazy on the bottom end with the pipe.

That should get you started.

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Thank you Matt, what a perfect and complete response, I really appreciate that and you ! Im going to follow those to the letter this weekend and get back to you on the results. And yes the dx8 has a throttle point curve, again thanks for taking the time to respond.

IMAC FANATIC

Getting things nailed down, the engine was already Pretty much factory dialed to the 5/8 and 2 turns suggested, think ill leave em there till the engines broken in a bit more. 1 1/2 gallons through it already, getting better every flight it seems,max temp @ wot is 270°.
Question, what are your points at on the curve? Number wise. Mine are 0-30-60-72-100. Fairly linear.
Low end transition seems pretty good but little apprehensive about leaning out top end so soon. @MattyMatt

IMAC FANATIC

Wow what a difference a day makes! Awesome transitions , feels like a plane with cans now. Went steeper on first step of curve and used the onboard tach to dial the rest of the points in and wow, loving it, thankee much @MattyMatt .