• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Went over to my flying buddies place this morning to rebuild his DLE222. Took all my tools with, shims, torque wrench and all my feeler gauges and Allen wrenches.
Spent 5 hours assembling the motor with 2 new barrels, pistons and bearings. New reeds and spark plugs. Just have to get two carb rebuild kits and it should be ready for the upcoming season. Must say they are not a tight tolerance engine.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Played with the Super Otter horizontal stab and elevator. Put the tips on and repurposed a crack yak spar as a horizontal stiffener and elevator counter balance supports. Opted to go with Robert style (GP) pinned hinges. So now all of that is done, I need to finish shaping it. Might drill some lightening holes in it too later... we’ll see.
CA7C1520-4504-4021-9CAF-8AC929B825D7.jpeg E264FAB7-6B42-41BD-AE51-542A4D455EB5.jpeg

Last edited:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Finally got the guts to drill the wing hold down bolts on the super otter.
5840B267-CA34-44E1-A818-58F9919632BE.jpeg

Also, there was a USFS open house about development 30-50yr plans. We’ve attended countless meetings and even more public comments on our clubs sustainability. We were happy to see a little side note about our operation at this open house.
42BA9C16-D89C-40AB-B993-B9408093A6DB.jpeg

It ain’t much, but taking what we can get. It’s a win for us none the less.

BalsaDust

Maybe somebody spektrum savy can help me out. Setting up my new timber x to have full span ailerons. It’s setup per the manual page below with flaps plugged into channels 5-6 and ailerons on a y harness on channel 2. You can see in the video that it shows the flaps both moving with the ailerons but on the plane only the right flap moves and that’s both with the ailerons or flipping the switch to deploy the flaps. Switched the two servos between the channels and the left flap would move and not the right. Thought maybe it was the servo extension so I swapped it out for a new one and still nothing. Does anybody have any other ideas or is it possible I have a dead channel on the receiver.
E6A3E968-AB65-4A03-ABE0-34EA00596EB7.jpeg

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Maybe somebody spektrum savy can help me out. Setting up my new timber x to have full span ailerons. It’s setup per the manual page below with flaps plugged into channels 5-6 and ailerons on a y harness on channel 2. You can see in the video that it shows the flaps both moving with the ailerons but on the plane only the right flap moves and that’s both with the ailerons or flipping the switch to deploy the flaps. Switched the two servos between the channels and the left flap would move and not the right. Thought maybe it was the servo extension so I swapped it out for a new one and still nothing. Does anybody have any other ideas or is it possible I have a dead channel on the receiver.
View attachment 109215

My guess is it’s something to do with the programming in the radio. Something isn’t mixed or enabled correctly in the servo setup menu.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
@BalsaDust
If I remember correctly, last time I had problems like that it was in the servo reverse setup. Both channels I was mixing had to be setup the same way. So make sure channel 5 and 6 are setup alike.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
View attachment 109215
Make sure that you have the correct switch’s inhibited. Make sure aux1 and Gear inhibited. Normally I inhibit all of them and only activate the ones being used.

BalsaDust

I will look into both those things when I get home tonight. Really would like to maiden it on Tuesday in the full span configuration.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
View attachment 109215

Did you set your wing and tail configuration to one servo per control surface? The most basic set up. If you set the main wing as having flaps and 2 ailerons the programming will lock specific channels to support that. Remember AS3X is like any other gyro and needs to see the basic 3 channels of flight control. But I really think your on the right track with a connector or wire some where being faulty. Flaps should only use one channel and maybe the problem is in the Y harness. But I see that it calls for two channels for flaps. Hmn…..

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I just looked over my Timber and yours is set up differently. I have one channel (6) for flaps and one channel (2) for ailerons.
Ignore what I have said :oops::D