• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Nothing beats a hand made gift - ever. Well done Mike, that lil'uke looks like a keeper. Now like any build... WHERE IS THE VIDEO!!???!?!? personal request of course being "Somewhere over the rainbow" in true "IZ" style. :D
Thanks brother. She plays the Rainbow song on her other ukulele. But this is a baritone ukulele which is tuned like a guitar. I’ll see what I can do on the video. :way_to_go:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Worked on the Otter "cabane" on top of the wing. Overall fit has been a bit of a challenge, let alone trying to square the wing up. now that I got the two forward dowels epoxied in place, I need to shape and finish the wing roof. Then I'll drill the holes for the wing bolts. 1/4-20 nylon should suffice.
Servos. Man oh man. @49dimes being my Blue Bird servo expert. Where do you get yours from? I love my Savox 1250MG's as a Mini Servo 7.4 111oz/in .09 $48each
The closest I can come up with is the BMS-A207 7.4 92oz/in .11 $43
Now I don't know if I should believe it, but Percision Aerobatics came out with a servo that resembles a blue bird design, but the specs and price are similar.
Nexatec NXT 90HV 7.4v 0.12 90oz/in $36 and a 10% off with 4 or more.... hmmmm tempting

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I forgot to mention I was also looking at the Promodeler DS100DLHV 7.4v 90oz/in 0.13 $39. Just seems steep for a super otter and dare I say too fancy. But they are close to the specs of my trusty 1250's so after this short talk with myself, I may just go that route for kicks.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Worked on the Otter "cabane" on top of the wing. Overall fit has been a bit of a challenge, let alone trying to square the wing up. now that I got the two forward dowels epoxied in place, I need to shape and finish the wing roof. Then I'll drill the holes for the wing bolts. 1/4-20 nylon should suffice.
Servos. Man oh man. @49dimes being my Blue Bird servo expert. Where do you get yours from? I love my Savox 1250MG's as a Mini Servo 7.4 111oz/in .09 $48each
The closest I can come up with is the BMS-A207 7.4 92oz/in .11 $43
Now I don't know if I should believe it, but Percision Aerobatics came out with a servo that resembles a blue bird design, but the specs and price are similar.
Nexatec NXT 90HV 7.4v 0.12 90oz/in $36 and a 10% off with 4 or more.... hmmmm tempting

In the past I have ordered directly from Blue Bird via e-mail / PayPal. They have a new "Mini Servo" The Coreless A920 wide voltage.
About 190ozin torque .09 transit @ 7.4 volts. They also have many other mini / micros with over 100ozin torque and .10 to .08 transit speeds. All reasonably priced. Visit their website and give em a look and ask for a quote. They will be less expensive than what you see on ebay or elsewhere. Tail Dragger RC is the only US based sales agent that I know of and I don't know how much of the Blue Bird line he stocks. Blue Bird has many many servo choices.

https://www.blue-bird-model.com/products_detail/51.htm

20170818093538yxzwk1.png

Last edited:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
In the past I have ordered directly from Blue Bird via e-mail / PayPal. They have a new "Mini Servo" The Coreless A920 wide voltage.
About 190ozin torque .09 transit @ 7.4 volts. They also have many other mini / micros with over 100ozin torque and .10 to .08 transit speeds. All reasonably priced. Visit their website and give em a look and ask for a quote. They will be less expensive than what you see on ebay or elsewhere. Tail Dragger RC is the only US based sales agent that I know of and I don't know how much of the Blue Bird line he stocks. Blue Bird has many many servo choices.

https://www.blue-bird-model.com/products_detail/51.htm

View attachment 109117

Thanks for the info, I knew you had something up your sleeve. Part of me says stick with the Savox 1250's since the price will be the same. There was a point where blue birds where cheaper, but now they seem to be on par with Hitec and Savox when it comes to price that is. It's hard to find a review on those servos that isn't biased.

Edit: I did send an e-mail just now about the A920/A921 servos.

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Thanks for the info, I knew you had something up your sleeve. Part of me says stick with the Savox 1250's since the price will be the same. There was a point where blue birds where cheaper, but now they seem to be on par with Hitec and Savox when it comes to price that is. It's hard to find a review on those servos that isn't biased.

Yes there is too much "I fly x brand so you do too or else" these days :dancing-chicken:. :laughing:You can still find "budget" quality servos but you got to look for them. Personally if I was willing to pay the price I would fly Hi Tech's or MKS. But I don't need that kind of servo to do what I do these days. I am even giving the Spektrum servos a try, A6300 and A6310's with an A5060 brushless mini on throttle on my 50cc Extra, since I have left Futaba and fly Spektrum now.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Yes there is too much "I fly x brand so you do too or else" these days :dancing-chicken:. :laughing:You can still find "budget" quality servos but you got to look for them. Personally if I was willing to pay the price I would fly Hi Tech's or MKS. But I don't need that kind of servo to do what I do these days. I am even giving the Spektrum servos a try, A6300 and A6310's with an A5060 brushless mini on throttle on my 50cc Extra, since I have left Futaba and fly Spektrum now.

Yup, I cannot afford the sticker price of some of the high end name brands. Spectrum has been offering nice servos as well. The A5060 is comparable to my beloved Savox 1250. Blue bird has had a bad reputation for a while. But there are lot of success stories too. I've always wanted to try them out, but now they appear to be a few bucks shy of what I normally use and trust. I'm not willing to end the chapter on blue bird yet though.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Taking a step back to clear out some cobwebs in the noodle has a bigger effect than some may realize. Dang, trying to get caught up but you boys have been busy. Pages upon pages of really good info and builds and deliveries and mods and stickers and servos and...just wow. Know what I did in the workshop, this morning? Tried to catch up on all the awesomeness. Get stuff fellas.
happy-wink-smiley-emoticon.gif