• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Tell me it isn't totally a pathetic now? I know not all kids are garbage, but many are in trouble these days and will have rough lives ahead of them. You have to realize what the "role" models are for the kids now days. It is sickening.

They follow sports players, movie stars, etc., and when you boil it down, there are a very small few in those circles that are worth a DA#$. They rarely have any moral compass whatsoever and they have no clue what the word integrity means. I have heard kids actually attempt to justify stealing, as if it was no big deal to take something. They actually acted as though stuff that others own should be theirs without working for it!

We did a lot of stupid and crazy stuff when we were kids and I probably should be dead, but even as kids we knew what was right and wrong. We simply chose to do wrong, but today, there is not a compass guiding a lot of the kids. In many cases the kids don't know what they are doing.

Someone tell me how anyone can justify young girls having over 20,000 text per month on smart phones? They will not be without their phones today. What does that show that young girls are doing with their lives and exactly how is it that they will be good in society as adults?

Don't get me going on the young men today. Just consider the words honesty, respect, integrity, etc. and use them around young men and see what they mean to them. They have no knowledge of what they mean and if they did, they could not apply it.
You correct with most of it but all I can do is try to help and guide my grandchildren on the right path. I hope.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Got a start on the Delta wing. The rudders are glued up and beveled. The two tail skids are made. Coming along slowly.
9DB71B38-780F-4493-8556-3669D0761937.jpeg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Tell me it isn't totally a pathetic now? I know not all kids are garbage, but many are in trouble these days and will have rough lives ahead of them. You have to realize what the "role" models are for the kids now days. It is sickening.

They follow sports players, movie stars, etc., and when you boil it down, there are a very small few in those circles that are worth a DA#$. They rarely have any moral compass whatsoever and they have no clue what the word integrity means. I have heard kids actually attempt to justify stealing, as if it was no big deal to take something. They actually acted as though stuff that others own should be theirs without working for it!

We did a lot of stupid and crazy stuff when we were kids and I probably should be dead, but even as kids we knew what was right and wrong. We simply chose to do wrong, but today, there is not a compass guiding a lot of the kids. In many cases the kids don't know what they are doing.

Someone tell me how anyone can justify young girls having over 20,000 text per month on smart phones? They will not be without their phones today. What does that show that young girls are doing with their lives and exactly how is it that they will be good in society as adults?

Don't get me going on the young men today. Just consider the words honesty, respect, integrity, etc. and use them around young men and see what they mean to them. They have no knowledge of what they mean and if they did, they could not apply it.
I've even seen it with kids that are heavily involved in Christian church. They just don't have a good idea of right and wrong. They know what's right and wrong, but there always seems to be an excuse why doing wrong is somehow okay. They are so thoroughly brainwashed in school and college, that there is an excuse for all bad behavior, and that it's somehow someone else's fault. There is just no sense of personal responsibility at all anymore.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I've even seen it with kids that are heavily involved in Christian church. They just don't have a good idea of right and wrong. They know what's right and wrong, but there always seems to be an excuse why doing wrong is somehow okay. They are so thoroughly brainwashed in school and college, that there is an excuse for all bad behavior, and that it's somehow someone else's fault. There is just no sense of personal responsibility at all anymore.

Didn't realized what I started LOL. I just wanted to say wish more kids could find the joy in building and flying model airplanes.
Not going to play the pointing finger game. But I will say my parents didn't raise me with cable television. . . I was outside playing, or inside building. If someone isn't raised with selfless morals and good role model (like good parenting, or better - Jesus) they will tend to follow the things of this world and it will not fail to corrupt the sole. What I'm saying is that this generation follows worldly things, loose morals, poor role models, and lack of parenting. A firm foundation is key and it's up to folks like us to remind youngsters of how they are building their foundation.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Edge sanding 18 sheets of balsa to prepare them for edge glueing. That will take some time, especially Edge sanding sheet by sheet so that there are no gaps and that they fit together properly. If some one has neat way of doing this I would like to hear from you please.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I think the biggest issue is that those of us that love, and even just like, this hobby grew up with a sense of aw, wonder, and amazement of thing's in this world that just no longer exist. The fantasy of flight, going to the moon, even the idea of being in space is coming to pass, the ocean's depths have been explored to no end as well as the universe.

BalsaDust

Edge sanding 18 sheets of balsa to prepare them for edge glueing. That will take some time, especially Edge sanding sheet by sheet so that there are no gaps and that they fit together properly. If some one has neat way of doing this I would like to hear from you please.

maybe stack them all on top of each other and pin them together. then sand all of one side and a time. Flip it and do the other side.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I don't edge sand them, they were straight when produced and the environment changes them. The last time I sanded some it was a few days later when I got back to them and they had changed. Now, I dampen each side, line them up on the table, weight them down, and using tape pull them tightly together with glue in the joints.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
maybe stack them all on top of each other and pin them together. then sand all of one side and a time. Flip it and do the other side.

I don't edge sand them, they were straight when produced and the environment changes them. The last time I sanded some it was a few days later when I got back to them and they had changed. Now, I dampen each side, line them up on the table, weight them down, and using tape pull them tightly together with glue in the joints.

Thanks for the suggestions I have been doing the tape method but not wetting the wood. Will try that next time and see how it works. I never pined them together and sanded them but have clamped them and sanded them but never quite got the two edges they way I would like.