• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Besides digging the Velox back out and getting everything set back up to get that thing done, I also took care of a bit of a problem with the 106cs powered Pilot Edge. Upon returning home from flying it this past weekend, I noticed some sludgey residue on the one MTW 75 canister and bottom of the fuse. Hmm...coupler leaking? Well, I removed the cowl to inspect it and "YIKES" I was very dismayed to discover I had a header that was not sealing very well. That one jug was a complete filthy mess. So, I cleaned it up and shined the Dub all nice and new looking. Removed the header and discovered that I... (yup, me) distorted the mating flange on that header when I bent the Comfort headers to fit the 106. So when I bolted it to the cylinder, it never sealed. I didn't catch it before it made a mess. UGH!!! Completely my fault. So, I removed it, straightened it the best I could then used my sons belt sander and a flat file to finish cleaning up the mating surface. Dug out my box of 3w parts and gaskets. Put on a new gasket and sealed it all up nice and tight. The motor was also running quite rich as it has been breaking in more lately. I readjusted the needles and took her outside to give her a runup and test the seal on the header. Yippie.... success. Crap that little red head runs. Rips the snot outta the Falcon 29x9 prop. Now the Edge is serviced early and I won't have to do it in the spring.

Next maintenance will be the Behemoth Yak. I have a cooling baffle coming loose. Can't allow that 4 cylinder to get hot. I will also need to get the new Gruapner receiver (GR-24 12 Channel) installed and programmed into my MZ32. I am going to order new Lipos for it like what I used in the 330. I can then remove the extra batteries for the ignition modules. Also plan to replace the rx. (also a GR-24 12 channel) in the Sukhoi and Pilot Edge and of course there will be a new GR-32L 16 Channel Receiver for the Monster Stang.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
While putting away my plane the neighbor kid wanted to show his buddy my airplane hanger aka "garage". I was flooded with questions, like "how much does that one cost?", "what's your most expensive plane?", "which one do you like the most?", "Check out all the crazy switches on his radio!", Add the constant WOW from 10-12 year old boys - pointing at planes in amazement.

I got to thinking. That was me one day about 20 years ago... Although I had no help teaching me how to fly (The HARD way, my piggy bank was patched from breaking so much :black-eye:), I do remember two older gents in particular helping me with obscure parts from their garages during my first stick build. Specifically needing Coverite dope, and a ball link dual aileron linkage.

Makes me wish kids were more into the building, innovative, adoring side of this hobby and not the instant gratification of buying a cheapo quad and hitting a couple buttons to make it do stuff you don't actually control. How rewarding is it to build a plane, maintain it, adore it (this includes abusing it while hucking about), and fly it again and again. The technical side of this hobby is challenging and ever changing. I've supported kids over the years to get into the hobby and I see it die when they choose a different path with instant gratification. Pretty sad. I sincerely hope I can kindle the fire of this hobby to a youngster one day like those guys did for me 20 years ago. Good memories, and such a great hobby.

I am working with a non-profit to start a drone racing league here in town, hoping that will spark imagination and innovation in some kiddos that may transfer over to or adopt the fixing wing line of sight part of the hobby that I enjoy so much.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
While putting away my plane the neighbor kid wanted to show his buddy my airplane hanger aka "garage". I was flooded with questions, like "how much does that one cost?", "what's your most expensive plane?", "which one do you like the most?", "Check out all the crazy switches on his radio!", Add the constant WOW from 10-12 year old boys - pointing at planes in amazement.

I got to thinking. That was me one day about 20 years ago... Although I had no help teaching me how to fly (The HARD way, my piggy bank was patched from breaking so much :black-eye:), I do remember two older gents in particular helping me with obscure parts from their garages during my first stick build. Specifically needing Coverite dope, and a ball link dual aileron linkage.

Makes me wish kids were more into the building, innovative, adoring side of this hobby and not the instant gratification of buying a cheapo quad and hitting a couple buttons to make it do stuff you don't actually control. How rewarding is it to build a plane, maintain it, adore it (this includes abusing it while hucking about), and fly it again and again. The technical side of this hobby is challenging and ever changing. I've supported kids over the years to get into the hobby and I see it die when they choose a different path with instant gratification. Pretty sad. I sincerely hope I can kindle the fire of this hobby to a youngster one day like those guys did for me 20 years ago. Good memories, and such a great hobby.

I am working with a non-profit to start a drone racing league here in town, hoping that will spark imagination and innovation in some kiddos that may transfer over to or adopt the fixing wing line of sight part of the hobby that I enjoy so much.
I can't remember the last time I saw a young person at our club. I told several guys in the club last year to let me know the next time we had a kid interested in learning to fly that I would give them my Twisted Hobbies Crack Pitts, unfortunately it's still hanging on my wall.:(

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I can't remember the last time I saw a young person at our club. I told several guys in the club last year to let me know the next time we had a kid interested in learning to fly that I would give them my Twisted Hobbies Crack Pitts, unfortunately it's still hanging on my wall.:(
I sure wish the younger generation would grasp on to something good and wholesome. I am anxious to get my grandsons out this next year as they are now old enough to really focus and get the full concept of this wonderful hobby. It is so sad to see how the mind set of our younger generation has so drastically and dreadfully changed. When I was younger, I loved cars and planes and motors and girls. Oh yes..."GIRLS". 'Specially red headed ones. LOL. Now it seems the younger generation is only interested in roaming city parks looking for Pokemons, stretching their ear lobes and noses.... terrible ugly god awful tattoos. And this mind set is going to manage and govern our society in a few short years to come. Yikes.... Like you Doug, I will help "ANYONE" (young or old) that wants to enrich their life with something more than the things they do now.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I sure wish the younger generation would grasp on to something good and wholesome. I am anxious to get my grandsons out this next year as they are now old enough to really focus and get the full concept of this wonderful hobby. It is so sad to see how the mind set of our younger generation has so drastically and dreadfully changed. When I was younger, I loved cars and planes and motors and girls. Oh yes..."GIRLS". 'Specially red headed ones. LOL. Now it seems the younger generation is only interested in roaming city parks looking for Pokemons, stretching their ear lobes and noses.... terrible ugly god awful tattoos. And this mind set is going to manage and govern our society in a few short years to come. Yikes.... Like you Doug, I will help "ANYONE" (young or old) that wants to enrich their life with something more than the things they do now.

Well said. I can’t wait to see what happens to our country once the Tide Pod eaters take charge.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Tell me it isn't totally a pathetic now? I know not all kids are garbage, but many are in trouble these days and will have rough lives ahead of them. You have to realize what the "role" models are for the kids now days. It is sickening.

They follow sports players, movie stars, etc., and when you boil it down, there are a very small few in those circles that are worth a DA#$. They rarely have any moral compass whatsoever and they have no clue what the word integrity means. I have heard kids actually attempt to justify stealing, as if it was no big deal to take something. They actually acted as though stuff that others own should be theirs without working for it!

We did a lot of stupid and crazy stuff when we were kids and I probably should be dead, but even as kids we knew what was right and wrong. We simply chose to do wrong, but today, there is not a compass guiding a lot of the kids. In many cases the kids don't know what they are doing.

Someone tell me how anyone can justify young girls having over 20,000 text per month on smart phones? They will not be without their phones today. What does that show that young girls are doing with their lives and exactly how is it that they will be good in society as adults?

Don't get me going on the young men today. Just consider the words honesty, respect, integrity, etc. and use them around young men and see what they mean to them. They have no knowledge of what they mean and if they did, they could not apply it.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Tell me it isn't totally a pathetic now? I know not all kids are garbage, but many are in trouble these days and will have rough lives ahead of them. You have to realize what the "role" models are for the kids now days. It is sickening.

They follow sports players, movie stars, etc., and when you boil it down, there are a very small few in those circles that are worth a DA#$. They rarely have any moral compass whatsoever and they have no clue what the word integrity means. I have heard kids actually attempt to justify stealing, as if it was no big deal to take something. They actually acted as though stuff that others own should be theirs without working for it!

We did a lot of stupid and crazy stuff when we were kids and I probably should be dead, but even as kids we knew what was right and wrong. We simply chose to do wrong, but today, there is not a compass guiding a lot of the kids. In many cases the kids don't know what they are doing.

Someone tell me how anyone can justify young girls having over 20,000 text per month on smart phones? They will not be without their phones today. What does that show that young girls are doing with their lives and exactly how is it that they will be good in society as adults?

Don't get me going on the young men today. Just consider the words honesty, respect, integrity, etc. and use them around young men and see what they mean to them. They have no knowledge of what they mean and if they did, they could not apply it.
Very well said! The words honesty, respect and especially Integrity have little value in today's world. Thankfully my children picked up on it and use that in their lives constantly.