• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I worked on the big Sukhoi last night. After removing the throttle servo and testing it and finding it works flawlessly I was even more confused. I've tried to wade through the programing in his 11X and even though I know that radio very well I couldn't make any sense of the way he has it programed.

When you bring up the monitor screen that shows you the final transmitter outputs to the receiver, there are all kinds of screwy mixes. The idle up is on a three position switch. Away from you is off, middle is idle up and towards you for some reason neither of us can figure it ties the idle up into just about everything else. It slightly moves the ailerons, rudder, and elevators.:oblong:

So this morning before I left for work it dawned on me that there has to be some combination of mixes putting the throttle at zero when you bring it down under a half. Yesterday it ran fine over half throttle and shut off when you pulled it back a little. I took another look at the radio before I went to work and I found it. When the choke switch and another switch are in a certain position it zeros the throttle at anything under about half stick and starts the smoke pump. How that happens is beyond me, but it explains everything.

Needless to say I'm building a complete new program and trashing that one.

20170730_192908_resized.jpg
20170731_100704_resized.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
After seeing those servo grommets my OCD sent me to new heights and I actually pulled apart the carb with out having to take pictures :attaboy:.

So here are some pictures :oblong:.

0730171441-00.jpg 0730171443-00.jpg Found some demons inside. Bunch of metallic debris and crud on the screen and the "pump" gasket stiffened with a deflection of the petals keeping them off the ports.

You would think I would have a better camera by now but those demons are in my head too for an OCD guy :geek:.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I worked more on the Sukhoi tonight. I put the throttle servo back in and as I was hooking up the linkage and noticed the chokes weren't working right. The rear one would only close about half way. I had to flip the choke arms over and reengineer all the linkage, and make an aluminum arm, and it took forever, but I got it working pretty good.

BEFORE

20170731_233139.jpg

AFTER

20170731_222049_resized.jpg
20170731_222120_resized_1.jpg

Alky6

150cc
I worked more on the Sukhoi tonight. I put the throttle servo back in and as I was hooking up the linkage and noticed the chokes weren't working right. The rear one would only close about half way. I had to flip the choke arms over and reengineer all the linkage, and make an aluminum arm, and it took forever, but I got it working pretty good.

BEFORE

View attachment 98114

AFTER

View attachment 98115 View attachment 98116
All good stuff! Should be quite the reliable ride when you're all done. :fist_pump:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
All good stuff! Should be quite the reliable ride when you're all done. :fist_pump:
I'm hoping so. Just reprogramming the radio should do wonders. The only tricky thing about that is programming the smoke pump to adjust with throttle. Everything else is standard stuff. The servo matching is done in the Powerbox so I shouldn't have to do that. I am adding a kill switch for each ignition, and a gyro.