• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Some times the best feeling in the world :joy: is knowing you helped a buddy get his plane running good and your ability to share with out bias :shake: is the best tool in your shop. Of course it helps when the equipment behaves as it should making you look good :rolleyes:.
I've think I've got one of those projects coming very soon.

My flying buddy Tony's DA200 powered Carf SU-31 has not run in two years. Were making plans to squeeze it into my family room so I can make some changes and upgrades for him. He is more than capable of doing them himself, but he works about 80 hours a week plus has a family so I volunteered to get it going. Plus I'm more familiar with the radio programing and it's got some gremlins in the setup, so I'm going to start fresh. Along with that we're adding a Demon Cortex gyro and two PowewrBox Spark Switches. He had a choke servo on it but it let the sacred smoke out one day at the field, so he hasn't had any way to kill it other than the throttle servo.

He's been wanting to sell it, but I talked him into keeping it. He doesn't fly it because the $$$ kept him from enjoying it. The price he set for selling it wasn't much different than what he has in his Carf 35% Extra 330SC that he flies all the time without worrying about. When I brought that to his attention he changes his mind about selling it. Plus my new Extra is bigger than his Extra by a few inches and that's the first time I've been to the field in 5 years with a bigger airplane than his.:)

I can't wait to try it with the Demon Cortex. That is if he lets me fly it again, I broke it the last time.;) I broke the left rudder cable doing a PopTop.
I blamed it on him since he built it.:lol2:

DSCF0261Small.jpg
DSCF0260Small.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I've think I've got one of those projects coming very soon.

My flying buddy Tony's DA200 powered Carf SU-31 has not run in two years. Were making plans to squeeze it into my family room so I can make some changes and upgrades for him. He is more than capable of doing them himself, but he works about 80 hours a week plus has a family so I volunteered to get it going. Plus I'm more familiar with the radio programing and it's got some gremlins in the setup, so I'm going to start fresh. Along with that we're adding a Demon Cortex gyro and two PowewrBox Spark Switches. He had a choke servo on it but it let the sacred smoke out one day at the field, so he hasn't had any way to kill it other than the throttle servo.

He's been wanting to sell it, but I talked him into keeping it. He doesn't fly it because the $$$ kept him from enjoying it. The price he set for selling it wasn't much different than what he has in his Carf 35% Extra 330SC that he flies all the time without worrying about. When I brought that to his attention he changes his mind about selling it. Plus my new Extra is bigger than his Extra by a few inches and that's the first time I've been to the field in 5 years with a bigger airplane than his.:)

I can't wait to try it with the Demon Cortex. That is if he lets me fly it again, I broke it the last time.;) I broke the left rudder cable doing a PopTop.
I blamed it on him since he built it.:lol2:

View attachment 97967 View attachment 97968
Don't know about the rest of you, but I think that scheme is by far the most bad ass scheme on the planet. Ever since I seen it in photos not too long ago...I think it was on that other site, anyway I have loved that scheme. I almost contemplated stripping the covering off my brand new H-9 when I pulled it out of the box. But....yeah, I wanted to fly it. Lol. By the way, that is not very nice tempting me with the purchase of that plane and then you talk your buddy into keeping it. Cold man...C. O. L. D.....COLD. LOL just messing with you. I have way too many large planes as it is. Doah!

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Why doesn't this surprise me? Because Kelly is that kinda person. Like allot of other gentlemen I have met on here. I am proud to consider ALL of you my friends.

Very GOOD friends indeed David. That's what makes this site so AWESOME! Every one seems to get along in the "sandbox" :grouphug:.

Not much going on in my shop. Getting ready to pull the DL50 for some carb repairs and hoping the new RcExcell ignition shows up Monday:). Will inspect the reeds and hope I find them in good shape :concern:. But I really believe a re-built carb and new ignition will have it running like a top :attaboy:. s-b275x275.jpg 0125171539-00.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Don't know about the rest of you, but I think that scheme is by far the most bad ass scheme on the planet. Ever since I seen it in photos not too long ago...I think it was on that other site, anyway I have loved that scheme. I almost contemplated stripping the covering off my brand new H-9 when I pulled it out of the box. But....yeah, I wanted to fly it. Lol. By the way, that is not very nice tempting me with the purchase of that plane and then you talk your buddy into keeping it. Cold man...C. O. L. D.....COLD. LOL just messing with you. I have way too many large planes as it is. Doah!
Every time I look at it I try and figure out the steps involved in painting that thing in the mold. It boggles the mind when you think how they painted the mold before any glass went down. It's not like painting something on the outside. You can't paint it all silver then start striping, you'd end up with a silver airplane.