• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Such a shame to have to hide so much beauty. Almost like putting on pants that hide your White Rose. Why would anyone want to cover these gorgeous jugs? Cooling box almost done. Still have to get the alignment set inside the cowl of the Behemoth Yak. Getting there...
20170521_154338.jpg
20170521_154328.jpg

@Snoopy1 I am using styrene plastic sheets. We've been using them a lot for baffling. They are very light and versatile. Also, they withstand normal temps. pretty well. My sons 222 runs a consistent 180'ish on all four cylinders.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Another 60 hour work week. Lots to do today. But I have managed to make progress on the 212 install and baffling project. Won't be long now.
View attachment 96125 View attachment 96126

Looks AWESOME Buddy. . . . . . . :yesss:

However, I couldn't leave it like that because my dumb ass would forget to connect the pick up sensors to the ignition modules until I took it to the flying field and tried to figure out why it wouldn't start . . . . . :laughing:

Buddy5303

70cc twin V2
Such a shame to have to hide so much beauty. Almost like putting on pants that hide your White Rose. Why would anyone want to cover these gorgeous jugs? Cooling box almost done. Still have to get the alignment set inside the cowl of the Behemoth Yak. Getting there...
View attachment 96133 View attachment 96134

@Snoopy1 I am using styrene plastic sheets. We've been using them a lot for baffling. They are very light and versatile. Also, they withstand normal temps. pretty well. My sons 222 runs a consistent 180'ish on all four cylinders.

I need some info on this. My 222 is running a lot hotter than that with standard baffling and a couple extra scoops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Sounds good to me. I like your cooling box setup but how does the hot air get out. Mine has just the standard baffle to keep air out of the bottom of the cowl and two scoops on top of cowl that point directly at rear two cylinders.
4117e5fe1ac5911e42f24cb92a5062ed.jpg
9e940fe75c2d5755ffe8919653b539ab.jpg

Boy that's a tough one with the location of the cowl opening. Normally you'd bring the air in the top and force it down through all four cylinders. With the air coming in below center I'm not sure the standard top and bottom split can work.
I know it's a really bad pun, but that one is baffling.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I did it. Pulled an all day'er and got 'er done. All that is left is to bolt on the prop, charge the batts and blast this beast off.

20170521_224743.jpg

I'm pretty happy this done now. Really have missed flying this bird.

Next up: rebalance the Pitts and get her back out to really wring her out.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Sounds good to me. I like your cooling box setup but how does the hot air get out. Mine has just the standard baffle to keep air out of the bottom of the cowl and two scoops on top of cowl that point directly at rear two cylinders.
4117e5fe1ac5911e42f24cb92a5062ed.jpg
9e940fe75c2d5755ffe8919653b539ab.jpg

Initially, I see two problem areas. Block off the back of the motor. Also the front of the engine. Air as you know, is like water. It will always follow the path of least resistance. The air has to be forced down through all four cylinders. To do this, you need to block off any where the air can escape before making it to the jugs. A split cowl like my son's big Edge is pretty easy to do. But as you can see with the Yaks one peice round cowl, I had to build around the dub and build a full box that is completely closed off. The air will be forced down through the cylinders. Then with the louvers on the cowl, the 4"×5" open in the bottom of the cowl where the front dumps...dump and the belly vent to allow air to pass out over the cans...there is plenty of positive "pull" to help the air to be drawn out. I will try to get photos of Shayne's P.U., I mean P.A.U. 43% Edge.

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry

Well.....Mine has this really small but cool spinner. :spongebob:
20170521-172823.JPG

Your Pitts makes my Pitts look like the Pitts:oblong: