• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I sure hear that a lot nowadays.
I don't think I can count five names who build anymore.
And I mean anything(trainer to war birds)
Its a bummer but we Minnesotans need something to do in the winter months.
Personally I think it is just an excuse, but with the quality of the ARF's now days I certainly can understand it, shoot I have three. But I have always been a builder of some sort, can remember being 5 or 6 and taking bicycles apart just to see what was what, and anything else I could get away with. I am just happy I can still glue balsa together and hope to be able for a long time to come.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I sure hear that a lot nowadays.
I don't think I can count five names who build anymore.
And I mean anything(trainer to war birds)
Its a bummer but we Minnesotans need something to do in the winter months.

No I still build and love to build finished off a Viper St from a short kit. And presently building an old Sportster from the 80 and changing everything. And last year built a stick 85 from a kit. Will most likely build 30cc crazy machine from scratch for this coming winter I think.
Built my share of war birds they time consuming and expensive. I loved looking at it but was always sweating when I was flying it. Built one hurricane one AT6, Chipmunk and the last one was Mustang. It always seemed like it was never done you could always add to it. And the maintenance on the retracted was never ending. If I ever built another it would be 100 inches so the weight would not be such a factor. But love looking at yours.

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Sorry got this a little mixed up now that it is done. Will ask the question does anybody have this radio and does anybody have an opinion. Looks good not expensive and is 12 channels.

http://www.gpmd.com/imagel/g/lgpnj2006.jpg
My son and I bought ours last year and hate them. I used mine about a month with multiple random issue. Nearly lost the Sukhoi due to this radio. I sold mine before I did lose anything. My son was not so lucky. His randomly **** down the ignitions on his 222 and his big Edge did a belly flop. He is in the process of rebuilding it. Needless to say, he does not use his any longer. Their customer service is kind of sketch too.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
My son and I bought ours last year and hate them. I used mine about a month with multiple random issue. Nearly lost the Sukhoi due to this radio. I sold mine before I did lose anything. My son was not so lucky. His randomly **** down the ignitions on his 222 and his big Edge did a belly flop. He is in the process of rebuilding it. Needless to say, he does not use his any longer. Their customer service is kind of sketch too.
LOL! I don't much care for getting in to the radio conversations but I will say no one comes close to Futaba's background. They have been in r/c since 1962 and have been in the forefront with every new method including 2.4. When researching others for similar experience no one comes close and some are down right dangerous for us. Here is Futaba's background, http://www.futaba.com/. Am I a fan boy, absolutely, why would I not be when I have used Futaba for nearly forty years and never had a problem, glitch, or even a hickup.

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
LOL! I don't much care for getting in to the radio conversations but I will say no one comes close to Futaba's background. They have been in r/c since 1962 and have been in the forefront with every new method including 2.4. When researching others for similar experience no one comes close and some are down right dangerous for us. Here is Futaba's background, http://www.futaba.com/. Am I a fan boy, absolutely, why would I not be when I have used Futaba for nearly forty years and never had a problem, glitch, or even a hickup.
I and my son was Futaba for many years. Never had a single issue. When we went to Hitec, I was a little scared. Not knowing the history or the company. However Hitec has proven themselves to me time and again. I hope I dont jinx myself, but I have never ever not once lost a single plane to my Hitec. I wish they offered more updated features. They keep promising and promising and promising they are coming out with a couple of new radios that will out class anything they've done to date. But yeah...promises for over two and a half years is getting old. I am now looking at Spektrum and Futaba.

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Am I a fan boy, absolutely, why would I not be when I have used Futaba for nearly forty years and never had a problem, glitch, or even a hickup.
People on that other site use "Fanboy" like it's a dirty word. If something works great for you, than you'd be silly not to be a fan.

That is how I feel about my JR/Spektrum stuff and my DA's and RedLine oil. It's all been ultra reliable "FOR ME" so why would I change. I know I'm not going to change because someone else had problems with theirs. I had a guy at the field telling me my JR921X receiver was junk because he had a JR that crashed. Of course he crashes more airplanes in a one week than I have in the last 6 years.

I flew Futaba for 15 years and loved them. When I started flying again in 2011 my buddy gave me a JR9503 to use and I loved that too, so when I bought a new transmitter it was an 11X that I still use today.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Well for those that don't know, JR is second with length of time being they began in 76. Spektrum may be a relatively new name but being they are a spin-off from JR they have the background knowledge. It does cause one to ponder why Spektrum is having such a rash of issues, but at least it appears they are trying to get a handle on it.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Thank you saved me a lot of grief. Will keep looking.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I am presently flying a JR 12 X love the radio still works as good as the day I bought it. Just do not like there new stuffs. And the company looks like it is on its way out. Would like something new with telemetry.