• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Good evening Gents,

Since mother nature didn't let me fly today, I pulled my GP Giant Stick out to work on it and I ran into a little problem. I found my voltage regulator for the Evolution Ignition module I bought about six months ago. I also took the 1800mAh and the 2200mAh Hyperion batteries out that came with the plane and put in a single 3600mAh LiFe battery with two output leads. I found a place to secure the battery that was not under the fuel tank, thankfully and strapped it in. I plugged one of the battery outputs into the receiver, via one MPI switch. Then I turned the transmitter on, the receiver switch on and the servo's came to life. So I took the other battery output and plugged it into the voltage regulator. Took the output lead from the regulator, plugged it into one side of another MPI switch and took the lead coming back from the switch and plugged it into my RCExcel optical kill switch. I took the output from the kill switch and plugged it into the ignition module and plugged the kill switch into the receiver. No matter what I did next, I could not get power to the ignition module. I tried the second battery output in the receiver and it worked fine, so that wasn't it. I tried the second MPI switch in the receiver circuit and that worked fine too. I even plugged the regulator output into the receiver and the servos still worked. I am at a loss as to what I have wrong. Can someone help me out? . . . . .:do_not_know:

Thanks,

Buddy5303

70cc twin V2
Good evening Gents,

Since mother nature didn't let me fly today, I pulled my GP Giant Stick out to work on it and I ran into a little problem. I found my voltage regulator for the Evolution Ignition module I bought about six months ago. I also took the 1800mAh and the 2200mAh Hyperion batteries out that came with the plane and put in a single 3600mAh LiFe battery with two output leads. I found a place to secure the battery that was not under the fuel tank, thankfully and strapped it in. I plugged one of the battery outputs into the receiver, via one MPI switch. Then I turned the transmitter on, the receiver switch on and the servo's came to life. So I took the other battery output and plugged it into the voltage regulator. Took the output lead from the regulator, plugged it into one side of another MPI switch and took the lead coming back from the switch and plugged it into my RCExcel optical kill switch. I took the output from the kill switch and plugged it into the ignition module and plugged the kill switch into the receiver. No matter what I did next, I could not get power to the ignition module. I tried the second battery output in the receiver and it worked fine, so that wasn't it. I tried the second MPI switch in the receiver circuit and that worked fine too. I even plugged the regulator output into the receiver and the servos still worked. I am at a loss as to what I have wrong. Can someone help me out? . . . . .:do_not_know:

Thanks,

What ever channel you plugged it into your receiver has to be put on a switch knob or slider. You have to program your radio for 0 off and 100 on for that channel. I prefer a knob as it is all most impossible to accidentally turn 90 degrees. I have tried to use these in the past and never had one I trusted. If they don't receive a signal to turn on Ignition it just defaults to fail safe which is ignition off.

Just finished my new Dalton Yak wings! Now, she is ready for some action. Will be interesting to see how she does with the short ailerons.

IMG_2600.JPG
IMG_2599.JPG
IMG_2596.JPG
IMG_2595.JPG

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
What ever channel you plugged it into your receiver has to be put on a switch knob or slider. You have to program your radio for 0 off and 100 on for that channel. I prefer a knob as it is all most impossible to accidentally turn 90 degrees. I have tried to use these in the past and never had one I trusted. If they don't receive a signal to turn on Ignition it just defaults to fail safe which is ignition off.

Hello Buddy5303,

Thanks for the tip. . . :way_to_go:. Late last night, it dawned on me that had to be the problem, even though the instructions said absolutely nothing about it. I had plugged the kill switch into the receiver, but I forgot to program it to a switch. . . . . .:confused:. You also made an excellent point about the switch assignment. I had thought about setting it to the trainer switch on my 14MZ, but a knob would be a much "safer" place. A couple of guys at the field use the RCExcel kill switch, so I will give it a shot, but at the first sign of any problems, I'll toss it and get a different one. . . :big_yes:.

Weather permitting, the GP Stick will take to the skies this weekend. . . . . :woohoo!:

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Great idea on the kill switch. Thanks.

Buddy5303

70cc twin V2
Hello Buddy5303,

Thanks for the tip. . . :way_to_go:. Late last night, it dawned on me that had to be the problem, even though the instructions said absolutely nothing about it. I had plugged the kill switch into the receiver, but I forgot to program it to a switch. . . . . .:confused:. You also made an excellent point about the switch assignment. I had thought about setting it to the trainer switch on my 14MZ, but a knob would be a much "safer" place. A couple of guys at the field use the RCExcel kill switch, so I will give it a shot, but at the first sign of any problems, I'll toss it and get a different one. . . :big_yes:.

Weather permitting, the GP Stick will take to the skies this weekend. . . . . :woohoo!:

Just listen to your motor. I never had one kill a motor in flight. I had one on a evolution 10cc motor that liked to cut on and off real fast and make the motor miss. After checking the other 2 I had they did the same thing in other planes just never noticed it before. After that all three went in the garabage and just use switches and second battery for ignition. No more problems. Good luck with yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk