• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Buddy5303

70cc twin V2
You have to be able to kill the engine from transmitter for AMA. This can be done with electronic kill switch or throttle servo. You can also setup a manual switch that is activated by a servo. A second kill switch is also required to kill ignition. It can be a simple hand operated switch on the plane itself. This is in the giant scale rules for AMA. Not sure what Joe Nall requires but should be inline with AMA safety code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
You have to be able to kill the engine from transmitter for AMA. This can be done with electronic kill switch or throttle servo. You can also setup a manual switch that is activated by a servo. A second kill switch is also required to kill ignition. It can be a simple hand operated switch on the plane itself. This is in the giant scale rules for AMA. Not sure what Joe Nall requires but should be inline with AMA safety code.

Ok so if I understand you correctly. We all have a throttle servo and if we pull it all the way down the engine will die, cutoff number one. If we install an electronic switch connected to the radio so that by the radio we can cut the power to the ignition, second shut down. If this is done the plane is legal. Thanks.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
With the disappointing performance after swapping a GP61 into my Pilot Edge I decided the canister might be clogged so I went through the process of cleaning it this week. After reading a post by @Robotech I decided to use Berryman Chem-Dip carb and parts cleaner. I capped the Stinger end and filled it with the cleaner. I let it sit a few days and emptied it and rinsed it with water, then blew it out with compressed air. I got a lot of chunks of carbon out, but realized that when I filled it I should have tilted it back and forth to make sure all the blocked areas actually filled.

When draining the water out I could tell it was still somewhat clogged because I couldn't get all the water out of it without shaking while blowing 150psi air through it. And even then it took a long time.

Thursday night I refilled it with the Berryman, this time tilting it back and forth to make sure all the chambers were full. Then Friday night I drained and rinsed it again. I didn't get a lot of chunks this time, but the cleaner was black as tar. When rinsing it this time I could easily get all the water out of it by blowing air in the inlet. It seems to me to be pretty open inside now.

Last night I installed it on the airplane and today I'll test run it and see if it helped.

Inlet before and after. I think a longer soak would really get make it spotless.

20160927_173127_resized.jpg
20160930_181242-1_resized.jpg

Outlet before and after.

20160927_173049_resized.jpg
20160930_181314_resized.jpg

pawnshopmike

Staff member
With the disappointing performance after swapping a GP61 into my Pilot Edge I decided the canister might be clogged so I went through the process of cleaning it this week. After reading a post by @Robotech I decided to use Berryman Chem-Dip carb and parts cleaner. I capped the Stinger end and filled it with the cleaner. I let it sit a few days and emptied it and rinsed it with water, then blew it out with compressed air. I got a lot of chunks of carbon out, but realized that when I filled it I should have tilted it back and forth to make sure all the blocked areas actually filled.

When draining the water out I could tell it was still somewhat clogged because I couldn't get all the water out of it without shaking while blowing 150psi air through it. And even then it took a long time.

Thursday night I refilled it with the Berryman, this time tilting it back and forth to make sure all the chambers were full. Then Friday night I drained and rinsed it again. I didn't get a lot of chunks this time, but the cleaner was black as tar. When rinsing it this time I could easily get all the water out of it by blowing air in the inlet. It seems to me to be pretty open inside now.

Last night I installed it on the airplane and today I'll test run it and see if it helped.

Inlet before and after. I think a longer soak would really get make it spotless.

View attachment 89133 View attachment 89134

Outlet before and after.

View attachment 89135 View attachment 89136

That's awesome dude. Looks great. Any chance you got a before and after weight? That would be interesting.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp

View attachment 89133 View attachment 89134

Outlet before and after.

View attachment 89135 View attachment 89136
I test ran the GP61 today, and I think cleaning the canister did the trick. I had a 500+ RPM pickup over last Sunday. Tomorrow will tell the tale. It's supposed to be in the low 70's and almost no wind. Not much sunshine but great weather otherwise. Time for a test flight!

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Today has been a fairly productive and exciting day :) Ontop of re-maidening my 107" Pilot Yak 54, I came home with a new airplane hauler!!!

20161001_201923.jpg

20161001_210640.jpg

It's a 1999 Chevy Express 2500, 117K miles, 2nd owner, 5.7L. Hauls, tons of space, very very clean. Will have a maiden voyage tomorrow!!

Buddy5303

70cc twin V2
Ok so if I understand you correctly. We all have a throttle servo and if we pull it all the way down the engine will die, cutoff number one. If we install an electronic switch connected to the radio so that by the radio we can cut the power to the ignition, second shut down. If this is done the plane is legal. Thanks.

That will work. If you are using a electronic switch to kill ignition from remote that is all that is required. You only need to have a way to turn engine off remotely then have way to turn ignition off. With these electronic switches you do both with one device. The idea is so someone don't walk by and flip the prop allowing the engine to start uncontrolled. Throttle servo and manual switch works if your like me and don't trust them electronic switches. I have a couple electronic kill switches that I also have a manual switch to kill power from the battery also.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I test ran the GP61 today, and I think cleaning the canister did the trick. I had a 500+ RPM pickup over last Sunday. Tomorrow will tell the tale. It's supposed to be in the low 70's and almost no wind. Not much sunshine but great weather otherwise. Time for a test flight!

Looks like you have it fixed. While reading about the process and the difficulty with chambers makes it difficult to clean. We know that heat will help the process but my thought is if the pipe is standing up and you connected a compressed air line the bottom and allowed the air to bubble up through the the pipe gently so that the solution get agitated. Do you think that would help.