• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
It is automotive basecoat, the print is thinner than basecoat and it get's automotive clear. Holds up extremely well on props, I've airbrushed props in the past with no issues. No rattle can stuff, high end paint and clear. Also the base and print add zero measurable weight on a postal scale, clear will add about .2oz or less.

Also, back of prop is not printed, painted or cleared.....never mess with the business side of the prop.

But the real questions is... How much extra HP does all of that bling give your airplane? :oblong:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I pulled the 330 into the shop and added the temp sensors for the Jeti telemetry. I had an EagleTree system in the plane before the radio switch. It will be nice to have the temps on the screen of the tx. I have the temps being read to me every 30 seconds until I am more comfortable that the engine is not getting to warm. I had the plugs out tonight and they were a dark brown. Not oily at all, just dark brown. This reassures me that I have it just a tad on the rich side and it still turns a 29 x 12N 3 blade at 6300 on the ground :) I bought a 29 x 12EVO from Adi and can't wait to get it and see what the difference is. Adi figures probably 7 to 10 business days for it to get here from Israel. Hope it makes it in one piece.

Here is the screenshot to prove what I did tonight :)

View attachment 53972

Hi there. Jeti radio. Spent about a hour with the Jeti representative at Toledo. He went through the radio and showed me some of the aspects. Looks like a great radio and the telemetry is excellent and easy to do. It will take some getting used to to program. I may be picking one up at JoeNull. It sure is way ahead of everything out there right now.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Doing a little practicing with my new toy, so far looking good. These things will look pretty kick butt with clear-coat.
Niiiiiiice!!!!!
FB_IMG_1454431350137.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
It is automotive basecoat, the print is thinner than basecoat and it get's automotive clear. Holds up extremely well on props, I've airbrushed props in the past with no issues. No rattle can stuff, high end paint and clear. Also the base and print add zero measurable weight on a postal scale, clear will add about .2oz or less.

Also, back of prop is not printed, painted or cleared.....never mess with the business side of the prop.
Very cool Terry! I really liked the spinner.

Have you ever heard of painting the backside being an issue? They reason I ask is I'm planning on painting a Mejzlik 22 x 10 and 23 x 8 I have for my scratchbuild project with a chrome paint process that I've used many times in the past on other things. I'm planning on a polished aluminum look. Hopefully I won't have any issues with it.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Very cool Terry! I really liked the spinner.

Have you ever heard of painting the backside being an issue? They reason I ask is I'm planning on painting a Mejzlik 22 x 10 and 23 x 8 I have for my scratchbuild project with a chrome paint process that I've used many times in the past on other things. I'm planning on a polished aluminum look. Hopefully I won't have any issues with it.

Nothing specific, with your ability you'll be able to keep the thickness down and keep a smooth finish.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Nothing specific, with your ability you'll be able to keep the thickness down and keep a smooth finish.
I'm already expecting a struggle keeping it thin and light. The Mejzliks I've painted on in the past were loaded with tiny pinholes so getting them smooth without adding a bunch of material will be fun. But I've been seeing a polished aluminum prop on this thing in my mind since I started on it.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Recovered my wing tonight. Ultracote true red wasn't a perfect match if you look directly at it (or maybe it is and it's just the layers of red that throw it off? :oblong:).

12494702_10210026971017765_1081488800073851659_n.jpg
12924435_10210026971377774_3406909519006767662_n.jpg

Either way I'm happy with how it looks. Plus in the air, the only thing that matters is the skill :too-cool: