• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Robotech

70cc twin V2
20160207_121817.jpg
Wings and stabs are done. On to the rudder and the bottom of the fuse. Another roll of Missile Red should be here tomorrow for the fuse bottom. Because of measuring for the turtle deck incorrectly, twice, I'm now on my 5th roll of red. Klass Kote paint recommended by Ortho is also on the way and the spinner came in last week. Decals are on the way from B and E graphics. Next week should see some real progress. I also got in the silicone fuel line to redo the pipe supports before I cover the bottom of the fuse.

The plan was to relax and take this slow over a couple of months. That's not going to happen.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
View attachment 50110 Wings and stabs are done. On to the rudder and the bottom of the fuse. Another roll of Missile Red should be here tomorrow for the fuse bottom. Because of measuring for the turtle deck incorrectly, twice, I'm now on my 5th roll of red. Klass Kote paint recommended by Ortho is also on the way and the spinner came in last week. Decals are on the way from B and E graphics. Next week should see some real progress. I also got in the silicone fuel line to redo the pipe supports before I cover the bottom of the fuse.

The plan was to relax and take this slow over a couple of months. That's not going to happen.
Looking good!

BalsaDust

Great video Chris. I've been wanting to try the glass method for a couple years now. Just never got around to it. Next time I need to cover something I'll give it a go.

You won't be disappointed. It seemed intimidating to me before trying it but it's actually super simple. I know you like ultracote. When I did your plane it took a lot more heat when going back over it to get it to seal the seams really well.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I've never even heard of the glass method, cool. Of course I paint my planes but someday will recover an arf and will need these tips.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Chris, I liked your little video, but there's nothing "strange" about the process. If I remember correctly, Faye Stilley showed the glass method in one of his two books on covering airplanes. It's amazing what that guy could do with Monocote. I've never tried it myself, but I'm going to have to learn when I get my Stick built.

sweetpea

100cc
View attachment 50110 Wings and stabs are done. On to the rudder and the bottom of the fuse. Another roll of Missile Red should be here tomorrow for the fuse bottom. Because of measuring for the turtle deck incorrectly, twice, I'm now on my 5th roll of red. Klass Kote paint recommended by Ortho is also on the way and the spinner came in last week. Decals are on the way from B and E graphics. Next week should see some real progress. I also got in the silicone fuel line to redo the pipe supports before I cover the bottom of the fuse.

I never had luck with Klass Kote matching the missile red. Mine was way way way off.