• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Alky6

150cc
Same deal here in Missouri. All cars over 5 years old have to pass a safety inspection every 2 years in order to get your license renewed. And depending on where in Missouri you live, you also have to pass emission test if your car is 1995 or newer.
Holy Crap! I thought California was bad. I guess we are only worried about the smog (every two years emission testing for all vehicles - unless a classic), who cares if the wheels fall off! :eek: LOL. Actually, please don't give them any ideas!
I am sure you can probably still buy MEK, paint strippers that actually work, and really good paint (IMRON) that we can no longer find in California. :devil-dance:

Edit: that's just a teaser list, BTW.

BalsaDust

OK. So what's up with the inspection requirement?

In VA we have to pass a state inspection every year. One my truck I needed tires (knew I needed them, but was hoping it would pass and I could wait a couple more months) rear brakes passed but they needed to be done so I just did as they are cheap, and right front wheel bearing was shot. In the process of replacing the bearing I found the previous owner had done it before and did it wrong which destroyed the the spindle and brake rotor. So with that I replaced both front rotors and brake pads while I was there. While I wait for tires I'm gonna go ahead and replace the timing belt, water pump, and a few other small things while I got it opened up.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
You could have a block that looks like this.[emoji15] View attachment 47775
Nice!

I saw a lot of nice ones over the years from drag racing. Pontiacs REALLY blew up neat! I saw an oil pan off a 400 Pontiac that looked like you went nuts on it with a 12 gauge. A buddy of mines big block Chevy was so bad one time that the camshaft looked like a derailed train, most of which was in the number 8 cylinder, other than the piece that went out the back of the block, destroyed the flexplate and torque converter, went through the bellhousing and the floor of the car.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Same deal here in Missouri. All cars over 5 years old have to pass a safety inspection every 2 years in order to get your license renewed. And depending on where in Missouri you live, you also have to pass emission test if your car is 1995 or newer.

Unless you know someone;)

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
In VA we have to pass a state inspection every year. One my truck I needed tires (knew I needed them, but was hoping it would pass and I could wait a couple more months) rear brakes passed but they needed to be done so I just did as they are cheap, and right front wheel bearing was shot. In the process of replacing the bearing I found the previous owner had done it before and did it wrong which destroyed the the spindle and brake rotor. So with that I replaced both front rotors and brake pads while I was there. While I wait for tires I'm gonna go ahead and replace the timing belt, water pump, and a few other small things while I got it opened up.

I don't know if you posted that one pic you texted to me, but......damn, that thing was an accident waiting to happen!! You check the other side for any traces of "Back yard mechanic on crack"?

I've had a Hitec X4 80 charger for about 6 months now. I've been running it off of a 350 watt computer server power supply and just carrying them around in a gym bag. Well that grew old, about 5 months ago!

The other side has the 2 remaining balance boards and the power supply I scavenged from an old PC.
View attachment 47687

On the left edge of the picture there are 2 additional sets of 4 MM bullets that can be used to run two knock-off chargers in addition to the X4-80.

Now all I need is some warm weather to go out and put this thing to work!

BJ Swope

Well it wasn't warm yesterday but I went and flew 3 batteries anyways.

Turns out the PC power supply doesn't have enough oomph to charge 3 batteries at 80 watts each so I'm going to have to mod the setup.

I'll add a second PC power supply and run them in series for 24 volts and see if that'll do what I need.

Here's to experimenting!

BJ Swope

I snagged my 96 Grand Cherokee 5.2 for a whole $800 off craigslist and I have invested probably 3-4x that back into it. 2 replacement front axles (1 turned out to be bent- broke the original one completely in 2), new front driveshaft (mine turned out to be the pricier driveshaft because it is the newer model GC), new radiator, new alternator, new water pump, new IAC valve, new tires, new front unit bearings, a leveling kit in the front, lights, interior work, audio.... All ontop of routine maintenance, but the spending on improvements will never cease...

The way I see it, it's completely paid off and dribbling some money into it here and there is a lot less expensive than a new one!!

Yep. Have an 03 trailblazer and the wife has a 02 envoy. Both purchased used with 21k and 60k respectively. Payed cash for both and now I do most of my own maintenance, tuneups, brake work, oil changes etc. Heading to harbor freight this weekend to pick up a 3 ton jack so I can get these two hefty girls off the floor easier than the current 1.5 ton jack. Guys, doing your own vehicle maintenance, when you can, is going to save you a ton of money, that can go to awesome flying machines!:yesss:

BalsaDust

I don't know if you posted that one pic you texted to me, but......damn, that thing was an accident waiting to happen!! You check the other side for any traces of "Back yard mechanic on crack"?

Yeah before I saw that I had already bought bearings to do both sides at once. Once I got down too it and found that and a F'ed brake rotor I just bought new rotors for both sides as well. Should have it on all fours again in the next couple of hours. Then to dig in and do the timing belt and water pump, then onto the leaking valve cover gasket which to replace I have to pull intake manifold off to get to. Plan to that the throttle body and upper bad lower manifolds to work and port match them as I have read reports that the ports where the upper and lower meet are way off. Prolly won't give any noticeable difference in power but should help fuel mileage a bit.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
I need the rear main replaced in my truck (4x4), use to do the work myself.....getting to old and wore out to do it any more tho. Oh and it needs the drivers side exhaust manifold.