• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

BalsaDust

image.jpg

How's this for the layout on the fuse mikey? I know it looks like a lot of white on the bottom but a lot of that will get cut away where the bottom of the fuse is undercut.

Alky6

150cc
View attachment 44507

How's this for the layout on the fuse mikey? I know it looks like a lot of white on the bottom but a lot of that will get cut away where the bottom of the fuse is undercut.
You use glass to pre-set the different pieces of covering together? It doesn't stick to the glass? So you just index the covering along (since the glass piece isn't big enough) and heat, move, heat? Wow, would be very interested to see more steps in that process! Very cool. Very, very cool.

BalsaDust

You use glass to pre-set the different pieces of covering together? It doesn't stick to the glass? So you just index the covering along (since the glass piece isn't big enough) and heat, move, heat? Wow, would be very interested to see more steps in that process! Very cool. Very, very cool.

Yes I do you glass that way when I lay it on the airframe it's all one piece. I think on my next build I'm going to do a video of the process. This covering is ultracote and not sure if windex will work with it. I know it works for monocote but doesn't work for the hobby king stuff I normally use.
Basically though I lay everything out and use a couple pieces of masking tape to hold it all together. Then I crank the heat up on my iron. And when I say up I meen up to around 310 pretty much where it will shrink covering. The glass will absorb most of the heat and will seal the edges of the covering together nicely. Once everything is sealed down nicely you can peel it off the glass and apply it to the frame. Yes it does stick to the glass but it peels right off no problems.

camss69

70cc twin V2
Yes I do you glass that way when I lay it on the airframe it's all one piece. I think on my next build I'm going to do a video of the process. This covering is ultracote and not sure if windex will work with it. I know it works for monocote but doesn't work for the hobby king stuff I normally use.
Basically though I lay everything out and use a couple pieces of masking tape to hold it all together. Then I crank the heat up on my iron. And when I say up I meen up to around 310 pretty much where it will shrink covering. The glass will absorb most of the heat and will seal the edges of the covering together nicely. Once everything is sealed down nicely you can peel it off the glass and apply it to the frame. Yes it does stick to the glass but it peels right off no problems.

I would REALLY like to see a video of that! If I tried that I'd end up with a wrinkled up mis-shrunken mess forever melted to my iron..