• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

BalsaDust

nice to see you guys carrying on without me....:epic:

been too busy moving into a new office and setting up a studio to do any real building. the 20cc profile is done, just trying to get time to mount the *#!!?*# battery and it's good to go! maybe this week but there's a ton of other stuff to do to get caught up...stay tuned as they say

If you don't hurry I will have built my 20cc profile kit and maidened it before you. LOL

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Oh also I have come up with a great scheme for the profile I'm building you. Hope you like Unicorns and Rainbows. ;)
behold-the-unicorn-rainbow-ninja.png

BalsaDust

Noooo, tempt him, light the fires it's building season......go big or go home and all that stuff!!!

A probro buddy is actually helping me design a 50cc slab. Should fly a lot different from other 50cc slabs out there. Most in that size are around 2000sq in of wing area and this one will be around 1500-1600 I think and have foiled ailerons.

BalsaDust

image.jpg

Just gotta peal a couple small straggler pieces of covering off around the vertical stab and it's ready to get recovered. Ended up replacing a lot of sheeting and re gluing half the joints in it but it's nice and tight again. Not bad for a 20 something year old airframe.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
A probro buddy is actually helping me design a 50cc slab. Should fly a lot different from other 50cc slabs out there. Most in that size are around 2000sq in of wing area and this one will be around 1500-1600 I think and have foiled ailerons.

Thank goodness, and use a nice airfoil instead of those god forsaken fat slug pro bro airfoils:oblong: Here is a really good one to start with:
http://airfoiltools.com/airfoil/details?airfoil=n63012a-il

:mario-banana:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
View attachment 43182
Just gotta peal a couple small straggler pieces of covering off around the vertical stab and it's ready to get recovered. Ended up replacing a lot of sheeting and re gluing half the joints in it but it's nice and tight again. Not bad for a 20 something year old airframe.

Nice, I hear overpowered trainers with no dihedral are making a comeback! Is that a heli engine?

BalsaDust

Thank goodness, and use a nice airfoil instead of those god forsaken fat slug pro bro airfoils:oblong: Here is a really good one to start with:
http://airfoiltools.com/airfoil/details?airfoil=n63012a-il

:mario-banana:

It's using the same airfoil that's on the plane in my avatar except it will be quad taper not tritaper. NACA0015 at the root transitioning to a NACA0018 at the tip.
Acts the same as what we call zippering the LE of making it sharp at the root and more blunt at the tip. Makes the root of the wing stall before the tip so it helps with wing rock in high alpha.