• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

The Original 50cc from 3DHS, the 85" Katana!

gyro

GSN Contributor
I recently acquired this plane, out of sheer curiosity to find out how the original 50cc from 3DHS would fly.
These are the specs as originally posted by Scott Stoops:

Katana 85" ARF
Big Wing Area - Light Weight - Flexible Power
3DHobbyShop has again teamed up with Scott Stoops to provide excellent performance in a top-quality ARF.

WingSpan 85"
Wing Area 1340 sq. in.
Weight Gasoline 50CC 14.5-15.5 lbs.
Weight Electric 12S 15-16 lbs.
Servos (5) 150oz/in or larger (250 oz/in on rudder)
Wing Tube Carbon Fiber
Stab Tube Carbon Fiber
Landing Gear Aluminum
Included HardwareBall-Link
Phenolic horns
Pipe Tunnel2 1/8" x 5" x 15"

Featuring bolt-on removable stabs, an extensive top-quality hardware package, hinge-point type hinges, bolted aluminum firewall attachment, carbon tailwheel, quad wing-bolt system, pre-assembled motor-box, ring-mounted fiberglass cowl, large removable top-hatch, and much more, the 3DHobbyShop 85" Katana is an outstanding 85" aerobatic ARF. Capable of precise maneuvers in a wide speed range, the Katana is also a 3D monster featuring rock-free upright and inverted harriers, really easy locked-in hover, low-coupling knife-edge, and gentle stall characteristics. Easy to assemble, you can be flying after just a few evenings of work. Best off, this Katana builds LIGHT. A typical 50CC gas setup with stock muffler will come in between 14.5 and 15lbs. With some weight-saving parts, under 14.5 Lbs. is possible.

Original scheme pics:

IMG_9409.jpgIMG_9404.jpgIMG_0002.JPG

And possibly the first 85" Katana video ever shot:
[video=youtube_share;3iza3AgE79U]http://youtu.be/3iza3AgE79U[/video]

I'm the third owner of mine, and the original owner decided to recover the plane. Short of removing the hinges, it was a complete recover job to make the 85" match the 55" Katana scheme that was produced later on. I think the 55" Katana scheme possibly served as inspiration for some of the current line of red/silver/black/white schemes out there. Either way, this plane looks awesome!

So enough rambling, here are my pics:

DSCF9747.jpgDSCF9746.jpgDSCF9743.jpgDSCF9745.jpgDSCF9742.jpgDSCF9748.jpgDSCF9751.jpgDSCF9749.jpg

I've been busy getting a few things together for MY maiden flight on this classic, here is what I'm working with:

3DHS 85" Katana (circa 2008)
DLE-55 - Available from Valley View RC
Wolverine Switch from Formeco
Savox SA-1256TG servos, from Savox USA
Taildragger RC Servo Wire Extensions all around
Xoar 23x8 Sword Prop and Aluminum Spinner

More to follow!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Got her out to fly yesterday! Both Brian and I got some stick time... and both of us were impressed. I was surprised how fast she was on a stock DLE-55 spinning a 23x8 xoar sword prop, and how we she tracked through the sky. Very accurate airframe! Brian was very impressed with how snappy she was on the point rolls and precision maneuvers. We both definitely had fun flying her. Here is some video!
[video=youtube_share;g444CVRmDIw]http://youtu.be/g444CVRmDIw[/video]

wedoitall

So I have this plane now and I'll have a ton of questions especially since this is my first gasser.

1. Whats the best way to setup dual elevators? Im using a dx9 with an AR 8000. At the moment I have the 2nd elevator in the Aux 2 slot on the rx. Definitely gonna have to get me the meter that check up to 4 servos amp draw.
2. I understand that the evolution telemetry rpm module works with the tm1000 for in flight rpm.... anybody know how this works?

gyro

GSN Contributor
So I have this plane now and I'll have a ton of questions especially since this is my first gasser.

1. Whats the best way to setup dual elevators? Im using a dx9 with an AR 8000. At the moment I have the 2nd elevator in the Aux 2 slot on the rx. Definitely gonna have to get me the meter that check up to 4 servos amp draw.
2. I understand that the evolution telemetry rpm module works with the tm1000 for in flight rpm.... anybody know how this works?

1. You'll need to reverse one. then, setup each one to the same travel adjust, and try and center them mechanically. Then make sure they travel the same amount, and if you decrease one, make sure to decrease the other one too, as you don't want them moving different amounts.

2. Plug the jr pin into the rpm sensor lead coming out of the ignition, and the micro pin into the tm1000 rpm port. That's it! :)

hone

150cc
I found this video helpful [video=youtube;5ioZTAJttGU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ioZTAJttGU&feature=c4-overview&list=UU_ya7V-evQ8stZAXGTKR2vg[/video]

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
Shouldn't need an amp meter on a 50cc. Actually I''ve never used one ever on anything. Do as Gary said. I just eyeball the throws. Set the ailerons up the same and you are set. One thing I do is check all directions and stuff and flip every switch and stuff at the same time. Some times those Aux channels have a switch tied with it and you don't want to create the old "snap roll" switch by mistake.