• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC The new Dalton 300 SP / 330

BalsaDust

Looks good. What kind of covering iron did you pick up? I used to use the top flight brand one but then @pawnshopmike sent me a covering and trim iron made by 21st century. I freaking fell in love with that thing and I'm not even sure where my top flight one is anymore.

Rusty 73

100cc
Cam
Which covering are you use , the colors match the design from the other aircraft .
Are you just laying down the cut pieces and then tacking it a low -medium heat till everything is aligned up and then using higher heat to completely bond the coat to each other. Are you using a cutting board /machine to get the correct length . Thats what 100" on the fuse alone
Your plane is going to gorgeous when completed .

You have great co workers to give a 200 dollar gift card to your local hobby shop ..

Cam,
Yours is looking real good, for some reason even though I have subscribed to your thread, I haven't got any updates since May 15. In any case, the two 300 SP's that we are about finish building have a built up front hatch area vs. your new foam one. When we were building the first two that Tony released there was a little issue with the height of one of the hatch formers, and in talking to Tony he mentioned that he might just change it to a foam hatch. The first picture is of one of the hatches being built back at the end of March. The next two images for those not following our log on another website,
3-29-16_8.jpg
5-23-16_1.jpg
5-23-16_4.jpg
are our Dalton 300SP's as they are now, getting stuffed with all the equipment.
Tom

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Cam,
Yours is looking real good, for some reason even though I have subscribed to your thread, I haven't got any updates since May 15. In any case, the two 300 SP's that we are about finish building have a built up front hatch area vs. your new foam one. When we were building the first two that Tony released there was a little issue with the height of one of the hatch formers, and in talking to Tony he mentioned that he might just change it to a foam hatch. The first picture is of one of the hatches being built back at the end of March. The next two images for those not following our log on another website,View attachment 82106 View attachment 82107 View attachment 82108 are our Dalton 300SP's as they are now, getting stuffed with all the equipment.
Tom
Those look awesome!

WOW Tom, those two look awesome!! Look like they are ready to fly!

This is the iron I like best. I used to have that Coverite or Century One iron, but Once I switched to this one, I love it much better.
IMG_1545.JPG

I did do the other stripe on the other side, and tomorrow, I can then hit both of them with low heat. I did use the trick with the Ammonia, as recommended by Tom @tom wheeler ,

IMG_1543.JPG

I also just finished the fin. Tomorrow, I can do the rudder.

IMG_1544.JPG

My wife went out of town, So I had the pleasure of hanging with my two little angels, so I did some work in the shop while they played.

I will go to work tomorrow, do 2 surgeries, 3 minor procedures, and then maybe make it out to the club so I can practice my sequence. Getting ready for a competition in clover creek next weekend.

Cam
Which covering are you use ,

Monokote
TOPQ1221 Top Flite MonoKote Royal Blue 25'
TOPQ0206 Top Flite MonoKote Sky Blue 6'
TOPQ1204 Top Flite MonoKote Jet White 25'
TOPQ1202 Top Flite MonoKote Orange 25'

the colors match the design from the other aircraft .

Very close, it was a guess on my behalf.

Are you just laying down the cut pieces and then tacking it a low -medium heat till everything is aligned up and then using higher heat to completely bond the coat to each other.

I lay down the white first, then use a very long ruler, you can see, that yellow one in the shop, and then cut it to be straight.

then, the blue, is cut to exact width, 6 & 3/4" , and then laid that one down, and tacked it down in the nose area, then pulled on the tail end, then higher heat to make it fuse to the white and the balsa.

then the orange, from top to bottom, so it overlapped over the blue. maybe by 1/4", but I knew the white stripe will overlap it well enough to increase the strength.

the blue over the bottom white has a 1/2" overlap, I knew this would not be a problem, since the blue is so much darker than the white.

Once I placed the orange over the blue, on the edges, this was not tacked down there, I then used the long ruler to cut it on both sides, then I was able to heat it up good to seal it.

Are you using a cutting board /machine to get the correct length .

I use the work bench , to the left of the picture, to cut the covering.

I ended up trashing three pieces of the orange, as I kept messing it up, a good 10 to 12 feet of Monokote in the trash! ;(

Thats what 100" on the fuse alone
Your plane is going to gorgeous when completed . Thank you!

You have great co workers to give a 200 dollar gift card to your local hobby shop

I believe it was for my birthday, and three of them pitched money together to get that for me. Yep, very nice of them.