• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

Really sad for ya bro. It does not matter who you are. Losing an airframe sucks hard. Hope you had a gazillion flights on it and some good memories.

Sadly, I just picked this up 3 weeks ago and this was my 8th or 9th flight on it. Oh well, fine to hit the classifieds!

BJ Swope

Mikeq

150cc
LOL...most generally, I am not too superstitious. One day last late summer however, My son, myself, and a handful of guys were out at the field enjoying an awesome day of flying. I had finished flying and was about to pack it in and start putting things away. Then I thought, "Hmm...maybe just one more". My son went for one more flight...doah....in the dirt. Up next was a real nice friend of ours.... Oops.... not a total loss but damaged all the same. Next? 25% Extra. After about an hour of fighting the motor and finally getting it to run, one of the other gentlemen out there took off....Yikes...instant snap then ground loop. Complete total loss. After that, there were two more with damaged planes and.... shaken confidence. I promptly (and quite rapidly) dis-assembled my 260, put her in the truck and called it a day. Sometimes ya just gotta know when to call it and walk away with your winnings. LOL

I hear ya...I was told a long time ago never to say"this is my last flight or one more before I go" and I cant tell you how true that is...you'll jinx yourself every time...

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I was wondering if you were able to honestly critique it compared to your previous Futaba...

In all honesty, the Aurora 9X is a LOT more powerful than the 8FGS I had and I'm much happier with this transmitter. The lack of channels is really only a minor setback as there are channel expansion systems out there that can very easily solve that little inconvenience. I love the ease of use, programming this thing is super simple. I just programmed another foamie into it earlier, took me all of 5 minutes to set it up and dial it in to how I like my airplanes. Every menu is laid out right in front of you, super simple to see where you want to go and with just a simple tap you're right into it.

Programming my 8FGS wasn't complicated once I got used to the user interface, but the steep learning curve had me scratching my head a few times and running to the internet for quick help. One thing that bugged me the most is they placed some of the programming menus in different areas of the transmitter and I'd have to be going back and forth with programming when dialing in an airplane. The A9X doesn't have that complication with it, Hitec really thought it out very well when they put it together. It's a very sophisticated transmitter without all of the headaches of trying to figure stuff out. I think I referenced the manual one time to figure out how to soften up the sticks and that was it. Don't get me wrong, I loved my 8FGS, it is still a fantastic transmitter that works great and I have no doubt its new owner will love it as much as I did.

And I'm not just saying that because I'm going to be working for Hitec, I'm saying that with complete and total honesty. It's just a better transmitter in more ways than one. Plus the thing just fits in my hands like a glove. Ergonomics are a big part of being able to fly comfortably and I had zero issues adjusting to this transmitter. It feels like it belongs in your hands, as though it's an extension of yourself.

Rob you never struck me as superstitious....Xpress said it was the firewall...not a total loss... All you have to do is walk around your house backwards three times tossing salt over your shoulder and you'll be good to go...;)

I'm not superstitious like that at all but there are some days when the ground just seems to be magnetic. Today seemed like one of those days. One of our clubs multirotards went in, then he put one of his airplanes in, @Spats plunked one in, then mine went in, who knows how many more after we left! :eek:

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I have really really got to believe there is something about saying or even thinking "one more flight"!

I made it a point not ever ever thinking that and have had the best success since and that was 25 years ago.

Now I have dumb thumbed my fair share but......Not going to say it again! lol.

Now here is an excerpt from Robs neighbors........

ABNER!.......ABNER!? Come look at this!!! He's doing it again!

My issue was due to Tim Sutton aka Katz Graphics. Well that's what it seems like because 2 weeks ago Steve Johnson lost his 88" EF Yak after he too asked Tim to cut him some graphics for his yak.

After Steve's yak lost its rudder while in a low hover and then execute a perfect hammerhead straight into the deck, Tim waits 5-10 minutes then asks SMJ, "So, you still need those graphics?"

Fast forward 2 weeks, does THE EXACT SAME DAMN THING TO ME!

The lesson here is, once you ask Tim for some graphics, don't fly that plane until you get and apply those graphics.

The graphics I wanted, some 3/4-1" white letters for the "Pilot:" section on the bottom of the canopy. The pilot name I wanted him to cut for me... "Sum Ting Wong"!

BJ Swope

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
My issue was due to Tim Sutton aka Katz Graphics. Well that's what it seems like because 2 weeks ago Steve Johnson lost his 88" EF Yak after he too asked Tim to cut him some graphics for his yak.

After Steve's yak lost its rudder while in a low hover and then execute a perfect hammerhead straight into the deck, Tim waits 5-10 minutes then asks SMJ, "So, you still need those graphics?"

Fast forward 2 weeks, does THE EXACT SAME DAMN THING TO ME!

The lesson here is, once you ask Tim for some graphics, don't fly that plane until you get and apply those graphics.

The graphics I wanted, some 3/4-1" white letters for the "Pilot:" section on the bottom of the canopy. The pilot name I wanted him to cut for me... "Sum Ting Wong"!

BJ Swope

Man....Tell him to stop putting "rudder hinge de-bonder" voodoo jibe on ya! He might sell more graphics! lol

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I have really really got to believe there is something about saying or even thinking "one more flight"!

I made it a point not ever ever thinking that and have had the best success since and that was 25 years ago.

Now I have dumb thumbed my fair share but......Not going to say it again! lol.

Now here is an excerpt from Robs neighbors........

ABNER!.......ABNER!? Come look at this!!! He's doing it again!
Dang...it's been a long time since I thought about that. Poor Mrs. Cravits.