• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
You think that ones was nerve racking, just wait till you do the Pitts!

I think that's why I haven't finished the little bit of work I have to do on my scratch build. When it's done I have to fly it.
View attachment 95392
I know you are right. More like a Prelude to a nervous breakdown. I don't always get this way with a maiden. But I think the reason why I was nervous with this Edge, is it is so pretty. It seems as though it is far more responsive than my last Edge. Definitely a very high-spirited plane that is for sure. I am pretty sure that with the Pitts, I'm going to be on my knees a lot. LOL.
saying-a-prayer-smiley-emoticon.gif

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I had already forgotten that you have already done a re-maiden of your Behemoth Yak after you rebuilt it so I'm sure you will be fine with your Pitts.:big_yes:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I had already forgotten that you have already done a re-maiden of your Behemoth Yak after you rebuilt it so I'm sure you will be fine with your Pitts.:big_yes:
Oh I will be fine. But a side note on the Behemoth Yak is appropriate here I suppose. It will be getting yet another re-maiden within the next few weeks. Yup, Yanked the 210CSTS Twin and going back to the 212 CS QQ four cylinder with cans and my own little special upgrade I have been doing on all my "dubs". Plus, all new servos. So the Pitts in the next week or so. The Yak shortly there after. What an awesome way to spend your time...and "MONEY". :lol2:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
OK, now you have REALLY peaked my interest. What kind of "special upgrades" are you doing to your 3Dubs?
Nothing too elaborate David. About three years ago, I started having issues with the ignition module on my 157cs. Somewhere around 35 or so flights. By flight 50, it was really getting bad. I had heard that even though 3W had upgraded their ignitions...(Which was the most recent on the 157) they were still having some issues. I talked to Milton over at RC PowerExtreme. (I think that is the correct name) Anyway, he suggested that he has had "MANY" 3W and DA owners swap out their ignition modules for the RC Excl. I decided it was worth a shot. Especially since the RC Excl is like what? 60 bucks and the o.e.m. replacement from 3W is around $260.00. Ouch! I installed it and I was instantly impressed. Of course I had to also replace the Hall Sensor as well because the 3W Hall Sensor is not compatible with the RC Excl ignitons. I gained an instant 400 rpm. Unequivocally true. So I started playing with the timing and bumped it just a tick. And gained another 100 rpm. And just like all my other engines, the easiest starting engines I have seen. From that point on, I was sold on the RC Excl ignitions. To this day, not a single issue and the 157cs is twisting a solid 6600-6700 rpm. on the ground with a Falcon 32x10 CF. I decided that "IF" I had any problems with the ignition on the 170, that would be the way to go. Well wouldn't you know it? Right at about 30-40 flights on the big Sukhoi...I started having ignition issues with 170. I didn't even ponder the resolution. I instantly ordered another RC Excl ignition module from Milton. By the way, Milton is probably one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Damned determined to help anyone out. And as the 157 improved dramatically, so did the 170. An instant gain in rpm. on the Falcon CF 32x11. Also, I want to mention the transition is lightening quick on both engines. Totally not kidding. Seriously like a "souped up" Ferrari engines. I am completely sold on the ignitions. Fast forward to the 210csts that was on the Yak. It never really ran like I wanted it to. And actually was quite displeased with the performance. When I sold it to my friend in Missouri, Sam...told me that he does the same thing to "ALL" his "Dubs". RC Excl ignition modules. And his success has been the same as mine. He won't run anything but the RC Excl. Sooo...needless to say, he swapped out the ignitions on the 210 I sold him, taught me another neat little trick and what do you know? That 210csts is now "YANKING" around a 70+ pound Decathlon like it isn't even there. He is so proud and pleased with the engine. Damn the luck huh? LOL. Anyway, long story short....I will be putting twin RC Excl ignition modules on the 212 (4). I will bump the timing and add 3W L80 canisters. From what I have learned from Sam as well as others that really know their 3W's....(and even my own inept knowledge, experience and understanding) I am completely convinced I will finally have the performance from that big ass Yak I have been looking for every since I got it. Ya know? I have been toying with numerous options. The ZDZ 180 and shaving five pounds from the airframe. A 3W170csts and shaving the same amount of weight. A ZDZ 210, A DLE 222...(as I have seen the performance of the 222 on my sons P.U.....I-I mean...P.A.U. Edge that weighs basically the same as my Yak. Of all the options I have considered...I decided to go back to my 3W 212 with the upgrades. Especially since I have two brand new Ignition modules here. Might as well use them huh? The only extra cost I am going to have will be the exhaust as I do not have any L-80's. But hey, it's only money right? Can't take it with you. And besides, nothing sounds cooler than a 4 cylinder purring along as it pulls your plane skyward. Something else, A certain individual has made such a big noise about not being able to really 3D or "Huck" a four cylinder. Ha! Tell that to SupaTim and his DLE 222 powered Slick. Tell that Mike Busutil with his 50% Christen Eagle. Tell that to my son with his big Edge. So there ya have it David. Probably much more information than you were expecting. But the story behind the refit and upgrades to the 212 and the Behemoth Yak.

SupaTim's 222 Powered Slick
Sam Noe's 3W 210csts powered 70 pound Decathlon
Mike Busutil's 3W 212 Powered Christian Eagle

Last edited:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Wow, I bet your fingers were sore after typing that response. . . . . :laughing:

Seriously though, I appreciate your taking the time for doing it. You told me about Milton at RC Excel when I was looking for a higher voltage module for the Evolution 26 on my GP Giant Stick. I have heard of others having issues with the 3W ignition. If I ever get time to mount my 3W 55CS in my Laser and it starts acting up, I will give Milton a call.

Thanks Buddy. . :way_to_go:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Wow, I bet your fingers were sore after typing that response. . . . . :laughing:

Seriously though, I appreciate your taking the time for doing it. You told me about Milton at RC Excel when I was looking for a higher voltage module for the Evolution 26 on my GP Giant Stick. I have heard of others having issues with the 3W ignition. If I ever get time to mount my 3W 55CS in my Laser and it starts acting up, I will give Milton a call.

Thanks Buddy. . :way_to_go:
You're welcome. Happy to help if I can. I won't even suggest everyone has problems with their 3w ignition. For me to have sporadic and inconsistent missing, coughs, backfires, total plane glitches etc., and have all that instantly gone simply by replacing the ignition module was enough proof, that I didn't need to look further for an answer. Solid and accurate information in detail is the only way my brain works. I'm not the type of guy that can take a simple comment like, "try this, I think you'll like it", and be satisfied. I always have a common response. "Why"? I guess I need to know why things work like they do. Along with a proven success rate. As for typing...naaa, being an "x" HP employee, I'm accoustemed to typing 60-70 words a minute. Lol.