• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

Yakman

70cc twin V2
The weather forecast is for awesome today. Got my radio back from Hobby Services and ready to go. Both my trainees say they can't fly today. I guess i'll have to let some of the other guys find a way to make my heart skip a beat or two.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
The weather forecast is for awesome today. Got my radio back from Hobby Services and ready to go. Both my trainees say they can't fly today. I guess i'll have to let some of the other guys find a way to make my heart skip a beat or two.
:laughing:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Took a short break from building on the Pitts today to go out and spot my friend Tom. He maidened his new 107" Pilot RC Super Decathon. He put his Saito 57cc gas twin on it and man what a nice flying plane. I am thinking now that maybe I need one after all. LOL. And the new H-9 Pitts, and the new Pilot RC Hamilton Edge, and.....
wink-and-smile-smiley-emoticon.gif

Tom's new Saito powered Pilot RC Decathlon.
20161022_124353.jpg

I am breaking away again tomorrow if the weather is good. Got the hankerin' to fly the big round cowl orange bird.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
The weather today has been perfectly heaven sent. A great day for some relaxing precision flying and IMAC practice. Ok, so yeah...I did do some really pretty rollers and rolling circles. Lol. just love this big orange round cowled beast.
20161023_114823.jpg

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
The weather turned out less windy than expected today, so it was a great day at the field. I'm having to get used to the Pilot Edge all over again, it's like a different airplane with the GP61. I need to move the batteries back since it's a bit nose heavy now, but the added power is great. I was messing with rolling harriers today. I always had trouble keeping the nose up with the DA50 but now with some extra power it's quite a bit easier. I may actually learn something now!:D

There was a whole flock of EDF jets at the field today. One of the guys let me fly his Freewing F86. Not a fast airplane, but still a blast to fly. He also had a hopped up Habu that was pretty fast.

When I was getting ready for my third flight today on the Edge I noticed a spot of covering coming off the base on the vertical stab. That spot has always been bad and full of nasty wrinkles. A few weeks ago I noticed the seem separating when I was loading the truck to leave for the field so I put some clear packing tape over it. The spot that let go today was behind that. Since the show must go on, I asked around and one of the guys had some white electrical tape. Not my first choice for a field repair, but you've got to do what you've got to do.;)

20161023_094706_resized.jpg
20161023_194720-1_resized.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
The weather turned out less windy than expected today, so it was a great day at the field. I'm having to get used to the Pilot Edge all over again, it's like a different airplane with the GP61. I need to move the batteries back since it's a bit nose heavy now, but the added power is great. I was messing with rolling harriers today. I always had trouble keeping the nose up with the DA50 but now with some extra power it's quite a bit easier. I may actually learn something now!:D

There was a whole flock of EDF jets at the field today. One of the guys let me fly his Freewing F86. Not a fast airplane, but still a blast to fly. He also had a hopped up Habu that was pretty fast.

When I was getting ready for my third flight today on the Edge I noticed a spot of covering coming off the base on the vertical stab. That spot has always been bad and full of nasty wrinkles. A few weeks ago I noticed the seem separating when I was loading the truck to leave for the field so I put some clear packing tape over it. The spot that let go today was behind that. Since the show must go on, I asked around and one of the guys had some white electrical tape. Not my first choice for a field repair, but you've got to do what you've got to do.;)

View attachment 90196 View attachment 90197
That is such a nasty spot it seems. A little trick I discovered is slicing laterally through the covering about an inch long. It helps release the gas pocket that occurs when ting to iron it back down. Then a tiny same colored covering patch strategically placed over the slice and wa-laa.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
That is such a nasty spot it seems. A little trick I discovered is slicing laterally through the covering about an inch long. It helps release the gas pocket that occurs when ting to iron it back down. Then a tiny same colored covering patch strategically placed over the slice and wa-laa.
The factory covering job was pretty good with the exception of that spot. No matter how bad my repair job comes out, I doubt I could make it look worse.;)