• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion The I’m going out flying thread 2018

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
If you go with a 2 axle trailer the carrying capacity will be around 3500 lbs and with that rating or about will that be to hard on the planes, the trailer will bounce around a lot I belive. Have had this discussion with a friend of mine and we cannot agree which is the better solution. What I do believe is that for pot holes and likes 2 axels are better. Be interesting to hear your thoughts.
The radio my money is that you have bought the new Graupner 32.
So back when I bought my first trailer, before I even ordered it. I asked a lot of people for their opinion. And it always came down to a single axle. I even talked to a gent that had broken two planes in half because his trailer suspension was too rigid. I went with the single axle and honestly was so pleased on how well it rode. No, I really don't want a two axle. For the size, the weight and the money I feel an extended height 7x14 on one axle would be just fine. We're only talking 1 foot wide and two feet longer. Guess we'll see what I can talk them into.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I have both in box and flat and nothing comes close to how smooth a double axle is, period. The weight capacity has nothing to do with it.
Think of it like this, your going over a very rough R/R track, every little ridge is hitting that single wheel and that single wheel will bounce, now imaging two wheels where one is not bouncing at all times.
As an example I have a Dixie Chopper I use to haul south for the other house. With the flat trailer I most definitely had to strap it down or it would exit the trailer. But in the blue box trailer all I had to do was set the parking brake, it was always right where I parked it when I got to where I was going. Same goes for many other pieces of equipment I hauled back and forth.

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I have both in box and flat and nothing comes close to how smooth a double axle is, period. The weight capacity has nothing to do with it.
Think of it like this, your going over a very rough R/R track, every little ridge is hitting that single wheel and that single wheel will bounce, now imaging two wheels where one is not bouncing at all times.
As an example I have a Dixie Chopper I use to haul south for the other house. With the flat trailer I most definitely had to strap it down or it would exit the trailer. But in the blue box trailer all I had to do was set the parking brake, it was always right where I parked it when I got to where I was going. Same goes for many other pieces of equipment I hauled back and forth.
Thanks, that is definitely a good piece of information.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
6629D96A-B859-4676-B1C3-F82FC78A0294.jpeg
If I had my choice of suspension on my trailer it would be this one. Installed a set once with a friend on a trailer they are well built and worked a lot better.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp

Just watch the video, it is in a ways but there is a part with some speed over a bad road and it very evident which one soaked up the bumps.