• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion The I’m going out flying thread 2018

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So our temp. is juuuuust right. Not too hot, not too cold.
20180826_090628.jpg
No wind really to speak of...
15352962207656326539285154533252.jpg
The sky is lovely and should produce some great flying...
20180826_090451.jpg
Yup, I'm loaded and headed for the field. Yee haw!!!
20180826_090511.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So the wind kicked up, then it would die down. Then up! Aaaand down. Lol. I think we must have a front coming in. No matter, the beasty 1 fity 7 yanked that big ole 330 around like it wasn't even there. Which really surprises me. I weighed it complete the other night. With 50 ounces of 92 octane red line 40:1 special blend on board, she tips the scales at basically a flat 46 pounds. You'd never know it by the way she flies. I'm really pleased with how she came together. I think I'll keep her!

20180826_121957.jpg

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
View attachment 105131
View attachment 105132
View attachment 105133
View attachment 105134
I would kill for temps like that. It was nasty at the field today, REALLY humid. It was so bad I only flew once. The rest of the time I sat in the shade flapping my jaws.

I spent a lot of time with a club member that just got his first Giant Scale airplane, a 138" Hangar 9 Super Decathlon. He's a nice guy with lots of questions. He's concerned about his ability to fly it, but I've watched him fly, and I doubt he'll have any trouble. He's not planning on assembling it till this winter, but wants to make sure he does it right. He's worried that he's bothering Tony and I, but we'll spend as much time with him as it takes, besides, I really like Super Decathlons!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
View attachment 105131
View attachment 105132
View attachment 105133
View attachment 105134

I thought you had a trailer for all those big planes you have, that surprised me. So all you do is strap it to the top of the bed cover and off you go, why do you remove your stabs it is not necessary when you transport it that way.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well got to field and the wind was 25 mph and gusting up to at least 35, sat around for a while nobody showed up so after an hour or so I went home and discharged the batteries. Will try again as soon as I can.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I thought you had a trailer for all those big planes you have, that surprised me. So all you do is strap it to the top of the bed cover and off you go, why do you remove your stabs it is not necessary when you transport it that way.
So I "DID" have a new trailer. But I soon found it was way too small for my rapidly growing fleet of "Behemoth" planes. I sold it in leu of getting a bigger trailer. I just honestly have been so busy I have not gotten around to ordering one. I want my next one to be like my last one. Special order and with what I want. I don't want a "cookie cutter" trailer. Yes, I just strap them babies down and tell 'em to hold on. This is going to be fast.
hearty-laugh.gif
I remove my stab/elevators because I can not get these big birds in my house if I don't take them off. Plus, it really is not good to let control surfaces "flop" in the wind unpowered. Just makes it easier to handle them too.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
So I "DID" have a new trailer. But I soon found it was way too small for my rapidly growing fleet of "Behemoth" planes. I sold it in leu of getting a bigger trailer. I just honestly have been so busy I have not gotten around to ordering one. I want my next one to be like my last one. Special order and with what I want. I don't want a "cookie cutter" trailer. Yes, I just strap them babies down and tell 'em to hold on. This is going to be fast.
View attachment 105138
I remove my stab/elevators because I can not get these big birds in my house if I don't take them off. Plus, it really is not good to let control surfaces "flop" in the wind unpowered. Just makes it easier to handle them too.

So you will have two posts to make soon a radio and a trailer, which one will be first. And when you said not a cookie cutter trailer what are you going to do or build we all want to know. Tell , tell, tell.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So you will have two posts to make soon a radio and a trailer, which one will be first. And when you said not a cookie cutter trailer what are you going to do or build we all want to know. Tell , tell, tell.
Definitely the radio when it arrives this week. I really expect to see it Wednesday or Thursday. As for the trailer, probably not until spring. My last trailer was an extended height 6x12 single axle. The new one I've not decided yet. I really don't see the need for a two axle. But may have to go that way as the company does not build what I want in a single. Price is close but do I really have the need for the carrying capacity of the two axle? I want to focus on the DS Mustang for awhile. I'm content with my airplane transportation for now. But next year will be the year I will probably start doing more distance traveling. I'll need one for sure by then.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Definitely the radio when it arrives this week. I really expect to see it Wednesday or Thursday. As for the trailer, probably not until spring. My last trailer was an extended height 6x12 single axle. The new one I've not decided yet. I really don't see the need for a two axle. But may have to go that way as the company does not build what I want in a single. Price is close but do I really have the need for the carrying capacity of the two axle? I want to focus on the DS Mustang for awhile. I'm content with my airplane transportation for now. But next year will be the year I will probably start doing more distance traveling. I'll need one for sure by then.

I bought a 2 axle 7x14 trailer from an older friend of mine and love the size. My Super Duty hardly knows its back there and my Expedition pulls it just fine.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp

If you go with a 2 axle trailer the carrying capacity will be around 3500 lbs and with that rating or about will that be to hard on the planes, the trailer will bounce around a lot I belive. Have had this discussion with a friend of mine and we cannot agree which is the better solution. What I do believe is that for pot holes and likes 2 axels are better. Be interesting to hear your thoughts.
The radio my money is that you have bought the new Graupner 32.