• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

The EXTRA 300 EXT Build Thread

AKfreak

150cc
I hooked the 120 HV to my Programmer and All I get is a blank screen. It worked fine on the 85 Gecko. I assumed it would work the same on the 120. As for the BEC I thought it had an 8 volt BEC. Doh... Now I feel dumb, but it still wont function with the programmer. There are two leads. A long one and a short one. The short one from the manual, shows it being the programming lead. Truth be told, I tried both leads and still no go with the programmer so I assumed the ESC is dead.

Again I used that same programmer with the 85 so I am befuddled.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I think what you are not getting is the part where you use an external battery or the throttle lead from another esc to provide power. If the esc does not have a built in bec it will only provide power to the motor. The throttle lead will transfer signal only... no power.

gyro

GSN Contributor
On the ZTW HV programming:

1- use the shorter of the two servo wires out of the ESC

2- power the ESC with a LiPo

3- still may need to power the programmer with a battery or BEC

Everything will work fine :)

Usually the BEC powers up the programmer. What you need is power to the programmer so it can talk to the Gecko. The ESC goes into the main port and the battery or BEC goes into the other port labelled battery which powers up the programmer. Same thing on castle HV stuff.

AKfreak

150cc
I used the same JR Flight Pack Battery to power the Programmer as I did with the 85. I used a TP 5000Mah 6S pack to power the ESC. The Programmer lights up and turns blue, but no text (kind of like if you have the signal wire backwards). I am using the short plug from the ESC to the programmer. Heck here is a video, see for yourself

[video=youtube_share;9bMtyHft3Lw]http://youtu.be/9bMtyHft3Lw[/video]

gyro

GSN Contributor
Have you tried powering up the ESC with the battery, then connecting the short input wire to the programmer, then powering on the programmer.

Does the programmer still work with the 85? I fried my programmer hooking up a battery and the ESC at the same time as the BEC and the battery had different voltages. Battery is only hooked up for the HV setup. 85 would be just the ESC.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I just got off the phone with my friend Garret [MENTION=52]AltitudeHobbies[/MENTION] who is one of the ZTW retailers. He's going to drop by the thread and see if he can help.