• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

Ahblair4

70cc twin V2
Just got a DX9 and have just started to wireless buddy box with my son's dx8 (my hand me down). He just turned 11... wish I started him earlier.

Hopefully that can make an impact on him, and maybe some of his friends will give it a shot sometime. We (here I go) need more younger people to become addicted to flying not only models, but eventually full size planes, another slowly shrinking group of individuals.

skibum44

70cc twin V2
Electric has really made RC a lot more popular up here... I think it is partially that it is less intimidating then the old glow day, plus no tuning. It is definitely more affordable for beginner planes then when I got into it 20 years ago. At 13 I took a good portion of my fishing pay to buy a plane that flew for 10 seconds. It was really hard to stay in the hobby after that.
As far a full-scale... It is so expensive now days, one needs to really have the drive to get invested in a plane and privates. My dad has a 170B and I really wish I could afford to take it off his hands. He is getting up there in age, who knows how much longer he will be able to fly.

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
Electric has really made RC a lot more popular up here... I think it is partially that it is less intimidating then the old glow day, plus no tuning. It is definitely more affordable for beginner planes then when I got into it 20 years ago. At 13 I took a good portion of my fishing pay to buy a plane that flew for 10 seconds. It was really hard to stay in the hobby after that.
As far a full-scale... It is so expensive now days, one needs to really have the drive to get invested in a plane and privates. My dad has a 170B and I really wish I could afford to take it off his hands. He is getting up there in age, who knows how much longer he will be able to fly.

I love flight. That is the same reason I tell people why I don't fly full scale. I'm an entry level chemist with other commitments. I make up for it though. From 3D for me, gliders, helis, multirotors and scale with my dad, sport with my club, and scratching and flying foamies with Lily, you can tell how much I love flight.

I've managed to make up for it.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
image.jpg
Used to teach in this (would love to be doing full scale aerobatics)
image.jpg
Now I "work" in this
To pay for this (much less, not always! than full scale Extra and Laser!)
image.jpg
We will be in need of pilots soon. All majors are hiring again and regionals are shrinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I'm very jealous of you sir.

I've been lucky in a very crazy business. I am really enjoying living out my aerobatics vicariously through RC. I always dreamed of IAC competition and airshows. Now I have IMAC and Freestyle!