• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

Bipenut53

150cc
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking about changing back to 91 and using a 2gal jug instead of my 1gal baby. Ok so without too much controversy what are you guys using for oil/fuel ratio? I've been doing 32:1 but I hear a lot of folks using 40:1? I get a little (tiny bit) oily residue coming out my exhaust currently. I like the 32:1 for break in but once the ring is seated maybe a 40:1 would be more efficient? Thanks.

Thats exactly what I do

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Just a quick question. Doesn't the manufactures recommend gas/oil brands for break in mixtures and normal operating mix? Seems weird if they don't. I only ask because Ive never run gas or nitro, only electric.

Bipenut53

150cc
All the engines I have bought in the past, no fuel or oil brand recommendation, just that break in on gas engines should be done with a non synthetic 2-stroke oil. They do however most of the time want a 91 octane fuel, but I have a few engines that say either 87 or 91 octane is fine

Last edited by a moderator:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking about changing back to 91 and using a 2gal jug instead of my 1gal baby. Ok so without too much controversy what are you guys using for oil/fuel ratio? I've been doing 32:1 but I hear a lot of folks using 40:1? I get a little (tiny bit) oily residue coming out my exhaust currently. I like the 32:1 for break in but once the ring is seated maybe a 40:1 would be more efficient? Thanks.

I run 40:1 on all of my 2 stroke engines, chainsaw, airplanes, motorcycles, whatever. Keeps things real simple for me as I can just take 1, 16 oz bottle of Redline Racing 2 stroke oil and dump it into 5 gallons of gas and make a 40:1 mixture. No need for measuring cups or any of that stuff.

Having a big 5 gallon mixing can makes things simple because all of your mixing is done inside of that, then you just pour the mixture into your pump can.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Gotcha! I just don't burn as much fuel as you [MENTION=3822]Xpress[/MENTION]
I'm just graduating to a 2gal woot woot!

aronph

70cc twin V2
I switched ratio a little last year after seeing a 110 yak with a DA100L put out considerably more power than my 100. He uses that stuff thats 100:1 ratio and his plane screams. I didnt change oil but I run like a 52:1 mix now instead of 40:1.

MO.

POWA.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
145dfe1341dadd902262683750aed2bc.jpg

[MENTION=3348]Bipenut[/MENTION]

So looks like I had the 5" balloon Kavans after all ha ha.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
The new horizon 15cc Carbon cub. The LHS said it should be in this week for me to pick up... So tomorrow!????!? It's funny, when he said its getting here in a 1.5 weeks, I ordered all the extra goodies... They are here, but the plane is not! Go figure!