• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

3dbandit

100cc
Again (ESFH) Sad but true. The rudder appears to be a "new found" control surface that has been exploited by this "crazy" 3D, Precision, Pattern, XA revolution! Rudder and throttle gimbals all over the world are being exercised while flying foamies, pattern planes , scale aerobatics and these "new fangled" 3D and XA planes. Sorry, ask anyone and they will tell you rudder use (lack of) is a huge pet peeve of mine! I was flying a little "flight test" foam board f22 with elevens only recently and looked down and I was using "ghost" inputs to an "imaginary" rudder. Funny. Give an "old school" pilot a foamie and most can't fly them because of a lack of rudder discipline. I'm trying to introduce as many as I can to that "other" stick. It's so empowering!!!!

I can not for the life of me get the guys at my field to use rudder. The other day, I commented that the guy who was flying wasn't using rudder while TRYING TO DO A POINT ROLL :facepalm: and I was almost attacked for it. Everyone at my field, even people who claim to fly 3d deem it unnecessary.

"Rudder, isn't that just something that folds to make the plane fit in the car better?"

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I can not for the life of me get the guys at my field to use rudder. The other day, I commented that the guy who was flying wasn't using rudder while TRYING TO DO A POINT ROLL :facepalm: and I was almost attacked for it. Everyone at my field, even people who claim to fly 3d deem it unnecessary.

"Rudder, isn't that just something that folds to make the plane fit in the car better?"

Ha "folds to fit the car" like that!! Oh it's pretty amusing. Watch some "top gun" videos on the years with a cross wind! These are the "Top" scale warbirds builders AND pilots! Really? I watched one that had 30 or so landings and I saw no more than 3 or 4 use rudder or try to land without a side load. Many (way too many) gear folding up and wing tips dragging. It should be "Top Builder" since they ARE master craftsman.
So I'm curious how these "point rolls" occur. Pull up about 20 degrees- point- nose please don't drop- point (really fast so I can use the elevator to get the nose back up)- point please don't drop, feew back upright again! How are the slow rolls? Pretty sad that they don't even recognize it and attack you. Must be like Quint in Jaws "... You'd think with all that college you'd know how to admit when you're wrong.."(Paraphrased). My guys up hear are open to suggestions and I think they are getting better because of it. I know it helps me.

3dbandit

100cc
Ha "folds to fit the car" like that!! Oh it's pretty amusing. Watch some "top gun" videos on the years with a cross wind! These are the "Top" scale warbirds builders AND pilots! Really? I watched one that had 30 or so landings and I saw no more than 3 or 4 use rudder or try to land without a side load. Many (way too many) gear folding up and wing tips dragging. It should be "Top Builder" since they ARE master craftsman.
So I'm curious how these "point rolls" occur. Pull up about 20 degrees- point- nose please don't drop- point (really fast so I can use the elevator to get the nose back up)- point please don't drop, feew back upright again! How are the slow rolls? Pretty sad that they don't even recognize it and attack you. Must be like Quint in Jaws "... You'd think with all that college you'd know how to admit when you're wrong.."(Paraphrased). My guys up hear are open to suggestions and I think they are getting better because of it. I know it helps me.

LOL
The point rolls are very fast, "lumpy", and uneven.

It is really funny how the scale guys don't use rudder. My field has a lot of scale and sport jets (I'd say 20 jet pilots and 60 jets). 90% of the jet pilots don't know how to use rudder so they use complex gyro systems to keep the plane moving straight on landings...

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador

FlyMike1

70cc twin V2
Mike don't apologize. We were just waxing poetically about the epidemic of "rudderectomy's" !
Looks like a nice plane. Are the 7955s enough for the stab? I have those on my 78 extra.
Good luck whatever you decide.

I dont know if they are enough as this will be my first 100cc+ plane. That's why I'm throwing it here where some of you guys have the experience.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I dont know if they are enough as this will be my first 100cc+ plane. That's why I'm throwing it here where some of you guys have the experience.

Quote from the EF 104" Extra manual:

"4. DO NOT SKIMP ON SERVOS! Your aircraft is equipped with very large control surfaces that deflect well over 45 degrees. A lot of servo power is required to prevent flutter and to maintain the required deflection for maneuvers. We absolutely recommend the use of METAL GEARED servos with a minimum of 350 oz. inches of torque for the ailerons and elevator and at least 450 oz. inches of torque for the rudder."

The HS-7955TG on 2s LiPo UNREGULATED should be good.

3dbandit

100cc
Cool thank you guys

I would like to add that those servos should be enough. The only area I would be a little concerned is on the ailerons.

If you feel the servos are not enough torque, you can always move the push-rods further in on the servo arms. (I find torque is more important than deflection)

Last edited by a moderator: