• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Tachometers - what do you use?

I have the Fromeco tach also, been working great for years. One of my planes uses the built-in tach capabilities in the transmitter/receiver. That's certainly the best option, but if you don't use the right receiver, it's not an option. I wish there was a simple solution that would plug into the ignition system and give you RPM data. 3W ignitions still have a tachometer connection on them, but no one sells the tachometer anymore.

Which system are you using? I've had good luck connecting Brushless RPM sensors directly to the Tachometer outputs from ignitions. I believe I did it with a 3W ignition before.. If they offer a brushless RPM sensor for your system you can most likely get it to work with the 3W.
I'm flying Jeti these days and I've been able to get their brushless RPM sensor to work on my DLE and DA engines.

Wayne

reyn3545

100cc
I'll look into that.. Thanks. The "solution" I'd like would have a y-cable coming off of the ignition (or use the dedicated tach connector on the 3W ignition). I would attach a servo extension cable to this, and have an external servo cable plug on the plane. I would plug the tach into that connection whenever I want to check RPM.

I just don't like the idea of. Holding a 50 pound plane with my legs while I bend over the turtle deck with a typical Fromeco tach.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Joe Hunt

150cc

Attachments

• fromeco-tnc-tach.jpg
    fromeco-tnc-tach.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 333

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I use a 30 year old Futaba FP-DT1 tach that just refuses to die. You would think with as much glow fuel it soaked up back in the day adjusting the length of tuned pipes, it should be dead by now, but it still works great. I almost pulled the trigger on a Fromeco several times, but just haven't since the old Futaba still works. If it ever dies, that's what I'll buy.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I use a 30 year old Futaba FP-DT1 tach that just refuses to die. You would think with as much glow fuel it soaked up back in the day adjusting the length of tuned pipes, it should be dead by now, but it still works great. I almost pulled the trigger on a Fromeco several times, but just haven't since the old Futaba still works. If it ever dies, that's what I'll buy.

It's amazing how many tools I have in my collection that are 20+ years old and still ticking along like clockwork. They just don't build them like they use to. Same for electronics and appliances. Seems like half the new stuff I buy for the shop or the house I'm lucky if it last a year. Hell I can't even count the number of times in the past few years I've bought something band new and it was DOA. Pitiful.

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
In this 21st century era telemetry is the most handy way to know your rpm.
We all buy top notch transmitters why not make them useful...and it's much safer and it can also tell you the dynamic rpm not just the static so you won't need to guess by your super hearing the engines rpm just to hear it rip the sky.
My 2c

reyn3545

100cc
Yep, I know, but when you already have a plane set up with a 14 channel received that doesn't support telemetry, the thought of dialing in every servo again, setting trims and end points, mixes, etc...just to you can look at the screen for RPM...seems like a lotta work, not to mention a $300 receiver down the drain!

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
I can't answer that and I can't argue with facts.
In that case a regular 15$ tac will be great I've been using them for a long time now and they're all very accurate.
One thing make sure the one you get has the ability to work with 2 and 3 blades.

reyn3545

100cc
On the other hand... If the plane is flying well, it doesn't really matter how fast the motor is turning. I don't look at my telemetry screen on the enabled plane as much as I thought I would.

Rusty 73

100cc
I have an old school tach with push bottoms to from different rpm ranges e.g.. 0-5000 rpm than 4000-9000rpm etc until you reach 30000rpm . I have had it since 1984 and still works perfectly on a nine volt battery :cool:
I dont like the digital read outs watching a needle move i find is a a lot easier , i know my Jeti transmitter can perform the rpm display but i haven't embraced this feature yet, call me old school i guess