• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Subtrim vs. Programmer for Centering Servos

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Great question econpatric, as this is something I haven't spent enough time doing on my own planes.

I know what you mean. This question ultimately stems from always feeling like somethings 'off' between the servos, servo arms, the mechanical setup of the control surfaces and the transmitter. There are so many individual components that make up the whole and when you add in the external programmer its a bit daunting to perfect without advice. Joe smacked this issue out of the park for me! It makes perfect sense that you would start at the final stage/component/result of your setup and work backwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
wasnt it that servo arm to servo (or hinge line) should be the same angle as control horn hole to hinge line? what i mean is if control horn is a tad over hinge line than servo arm should also be angled a tad away from hinge line?

using subtrims is soo much easier than trying to wrap my head around that! :D

hosam

70cc twin V2
just found this and wow did I learn something today... Joe per your description below, what is considered very close to maxed out? I use a Hitec Aurora 9 and it has an EPA of 140 for max, should I initially be setting it up to 138? 135? 130? etc...

your endpoints in the radio should be very close to maxed and they should be pretty close to being equal.

What would be cool is seeing some one like Joe, Aaron or Andrew making a detailed video of how they setup their plane. maybe one with a singe servo per control surface (i.e 58 edge) and one with multiple servos per wing (i.e. 104 slick)...

robj

70cc twin V2
What would be cool is seeing some one like Joe, Aaron or Andrew making a detailed video of how they setup their plane. maybe one with a singe servo per control surface (i.e 58 edge) and one with multiple servos per wing (i.e. 104 slick)...

+1....usually it goes something like...

So we are putting on the 3 servos per wing today, 6 total!....
And there they are, completed!
:confused:

econpatric

70cc twin V2

While rocking out to Led Zeppelin :p or better yet Lightnin' Hopkins' :veryshocked:

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

just found this and wow did I learn something today... Joe per your description below, what is considered very close to maxed out? I use a Hitec Aurora 9 and it has an EPA of 140 for max, should I initially be setting it up to 138? 135? 130? etc...

+1....usually it goes something like...

So we are putting on the 3 servos per wing today, 6 total!....
And there they are, completed!
:confused:

The question is: how many people would have the patience to watch a potentially two hour video filled with a bunch of "fiddlin around" ? ;)

hosam

70cc twin V2
I would want to see the sections for servo setup, IMO that is the essential in a good plane setup. I have been in RC for 30 years and every year I learn something different. When I setup my 104 with 3 servos per wing I spent 2 weeks in the basement until I figured it out but after reading this thread and talking to others I may have done it the hard way. Since I am going to build a new 104 I would like to know how people like Joe/Arron/Andrew set their multi servos up. so yes I would sit and watch the 2 hour video that shows the full details on how the servos are setup.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It

I would too, even a Podcast on the subject would be great. Hint hint Gary.