• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Starting Your Plane by Yourself, 60ccc or Larger

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
All my engines start on the first or second flip. You can ask Yakman. All my glow engines start on one flip backwards. You can assume what you want. The video was the first start of the day.
So you don't need to choke your engines?

Having witnessed what a prop can do to your hand USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN STARTING YOUR GASSER. Most accidents happen when folks become complacent with their engines/planes. I use a paint roller to contact the prop with. This way if something does happen your fingers are not in the path of the prop. For safety sake, I will say starting your plane from behind puts your body in an off balance and awkward position. I would NOT recommend it to anyone.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Back to the topic at hand. We use pieces of conduit driven into the ground that receive removable pieces of conduit padded with pool noodles. For larger airplanes like 40% you can space them farther apart and use them on the wings. Very easy to use and very secure.
Restraints.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Having witnessed what a prop can do to your hand USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN STARTING YOUR GASSER. Most accidents happen when folks become complacent with their engines/planes. I use a paint roller to contact the prop with. This way if something does happen your fingers are not in the path of the prop. For safety sake, I will say starting your plane from behind puts your body in an off balance and awkward position. I would NOT recommend it to anyone.
I've always used a good glove, but I've been wanting to try the paint roller and see how that works out.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Back to the topic at hand. We use pieces of conduit driven into the ground that receive removable pieces of conduit padded with pool noodles. For larger airplanes like 40% you can space them farther apart and use them on the wings. Very easy to use and very secure.
View attachment 40119
One thing to add, if you use this method sink a small brick or something between the in the ground pipes so you can find them. Around here clover will cover those thing in a day sometimes and it makes finding them a real pain.;)

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I've always used a good glove, but I've been wanting to try the paint roller and see hoe that works out.

I actually found it a little awkward at first, but after a few times it is much easier. Now after two years I can hardly stand to start one without. Those Falcon carbon props are really sharp on the back side, I've seen people cut themselves just from flipping a prop on a plane that was having starting issues. Seems everywhere I go I see more and more people switching to the paint rollers now. One thing I did find is easier is to unbolt the prop and move it one bolt space to the left so you are flipping more over and down, as opposed to up and over as most of us time our props.