• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

standard and metric rant!

mazjag

50cc
Hey guys,,I have a beef with several high quality airplane manufactures that continue to use metric and standard hardware...why? I just got my new 70 velox to find it had 5mm motor box screws and 4-40 land gear mounts..I`m a mechanic by trade and I like nice tools therefore I don`t want to but 2 sets of nice hex drivers to put together a plane..It makes no sense to me..Several OS engines come with a 1/4 -28 nut..The engine is from Japan so why does it have a 1/4-28 nut? Dubro is about the worst as they still think its is 1980..

That is my rant..I`ll get past it, but its dumb never the less...Make all the S*** metric that way we cannot strip stuff etc..The auto industry learned this years back..my 2 cents..Jason

Last edited by a moderator:

Av8r RC

50cc
Being a mechanic you should be used to it. Just like a 88' Pontiac. lol

Kidding aside, I feel your pain. I'm a machinist and I am constantly having to convert metric prints and dimensions to inches. And because the US still hasn't converted to metric like the rest of the world it causes me big pains. I see prints all the time for parts 10mm thick. And since i can't get metric sized material cheap (usually 3~4x) or quickly. I have to use 1/2" thick stuff and cut it down to 10mm. A lot of extra machining to do that. Then the customer wants to know why it cost so much to make the part. :rolleyes: And I got to try and compete with China.

Maybe one day the US will convert, but don't hold your breath. We just have to be different.....

Here at home I have a 3D printer and all the stuff I design is in metric, because 90+% of stuff in your house, car, world is metric.

:deadhorse:

My rants over. lol

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I think Maz's point was not a Metric vs Standard argument, it was why mix both in the planes hardware package, pick one or the other and use it but not both.
On my 3DHS 87" Extra of the 4 screws and build in "T" nuts that held on the removable stab on I had 3 metric and one standard. Drove me crazy too.

Last edited by a moderator:

ghoffman

70cc twin V2
I think Maz's point was not a Metric vs Standard argument, it was why mix both in the planes hardware package, pick one or the other and use it but not both.
I know, really! Extreme Flight uses all metric threads except for the wing bolts which are 1/4, and 3DHS uses SAE all over but M6 wing bolts. Cars are just as bad in a different way, they use hex, Torx, Phillips, socket head cap screws all over. One of the best Mil-specs is whatever you do decide to use, just be consistent.

mazjag

50cc
Yes, its the mix I`m talking about...The plane is made in China..It seems to me it would be a lot easier to get a 3mm blind nut then a 4-40 over there..I think 3DHS thinks if they use SAE you can go the hardware store and get hardware..I can get metric at my local ACE no problem...The worst is the set screws in wheel collars...You sit there and keep going through allen wrenches until it feels tight..I can get past no stardard battery connector, no brushless motor sizing, no accurate C rating of battery, but this one is just dumb..Make the whole plane metric...

SnowDog

This metric vs. SAE discussion makes me glad we have a site sponsor who understands you need to have good access to both metric and SAE fasteners...Gino at TrimcraftAviationRC has a great stock of hardware of both types.

If you haven't made a visit to his site, be sure to do so: http://www.trimcraftaviationrc.com/

Av8r RC

50cc
On my 3DHS 87" Extra of the 4 screws and build in "T" nuts that held on the removable stab on I had 3 metric and one standard. Drove me crazy too.

Is this the one I got from you? Did you fix it, cause I've been using M3's in them without any problems. I have to take the stabs off every time I transport.

On my new 92 Edge everything is metric except for the screws & nuts for the control linkages. I was going to swap them out with metric stuff, but an M3 screw is just a hair, literally, too big. 4-40 major diameter is 0.106~0.111" and an M3 is 0.113~0.117".

Yowzilla

50cc
What is the size of the nylon bolts for SFG and wing tips on the 92" Edge. I hate the flat head nylon screws...metric or english.. After installing only 2 times ...I am done with the impossible flat head..