• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Spektrum rx advice

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey everyone, I am in need of a little advice from you Spektrum owners. I am doing a build for a friend on a Hangar 9 Cirrus 96". I will be installing a 30cc gasser, and the friend has chosen a Spektrum 7 system to fly it from. I would like to set this up so that he has redundant power to the receiver and am a little lost as I don't know much about Spektrum. As with all my Hitec RX's, I am able to supply two 7.4 battery packs straight to the rx without having any issues. I myself choose to use Smart-Fly boards on all my planes, however I will not be doing this with this plane. I am aware that JR and Futaba have PowerSafe rx's that allow for directing two batteries straight into the rx as with my Hitecs for redundant power. That being said, Can someone suggest a 7 channel rx that would be a good fit for this airplane. Obviously the channels being used will be ailerons, elevators, rudder, throttle, flaps and ignition. That would allow me one open port which would normally be used for power. Is it possible to purchase an 8 channel receiver, utilizing the six available channels needed for the aircraft functions, then use the remaining two ports for redundant power? Or would it be better to "Y" one of the used channels...such as flaps, and supply the extra battery there? I know with my Hitec rx. I can do this, however as I said, I am not up to speed on Spektrum and how they do their systems. Can anyone suggest some 7 or 8 channels rx's that would be a good fit with this plane? I will not be using HV servos or batteries. The set up is going to be using 6.0 Ni-Hyd. with six volt servos.

I appreciate the input and advice guys....thanks.

Mikeq

150cc
I use to fly with Spektrum but pretty much Futaba now...if it were me I would do the 8 channel and plug the two batteries in the open channels...http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMAR8000...I have a power safe 9 channel Spektrum receiver I don't use any more..had it on a 36% Edge 540 PAU and never had any trouble with it..I was running two 7.4 lipos..let me know if you might be interested in it..

15054=8679-rx.jpg
15054=8679-rx.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Mikeq;15054 wrote: I use to fly with Spektrum but pretty much Futaba now...if it were me I would do the 8 channel and plug the two batteries in the open channels...http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMAR8000...I have a power safe 9 channel Spektrum receiver I don't use any more..had it on a 36% Edge 540 PAU and never had any trouble with it..I was running two 7.4 lipos..let me know if you might be interested in it..

15054=8679-rx.jpg
15054=8679-rx.jpg

Actually, I think I could be interested. Sent you a pm.

2walla

50cc
They all work fine, any seven or 8 channel receiver in the current lineup is fine. You could y harness the second power source too. I generally try to avoid plugging anything into the bind plug port. If you do i would trim the signal wire off. I have seen a couple of so called smart switches cause the receiver to rebind un commanded when plugged into the bind port. Remember anything that can make the two outside pins touch even for an instant can cause the receiver to enter bind mode. One thing i do is buy some longer leads for the satellites, the 4 inch ones are kind of a joke. I like to get the satellites at least a foot apart. Hobbyking has them for pennies. Horizon charges 10 or so as i recall. Good luck! Have fun!

BarracudaHockey

70cc twin V2
If you want Power Safe you're going to have to get a 9 channel receiver.

Otherwise, two packs each into their own servo port and for that you may need an 8 channel receiver.

Any unused port on the Rx can also be dubbed as a battery port. I would seriously reconsider the use of NiMH packs. Unless the owner likes charging. Minimum.I.would use is 2 1100mAh A123 packs. You can.run.the ignition.off those packs as well.

Do-rag

100cc
Bunky F. Knuckle;15188 wrote: Any unused port on the Rx can also be dubbed as a battery port. I would seriously reconsider the use of NiMH packs. Unless the owner likes charging. Minimum.I.would use is 2 1100mAh A123 packs. You can.run.the ignition.off those packs as well.

I typically run 1 2300mAh A123 pak on 50 cc and below. On anything larger I do two 2300 mAh packs as Bunky indicates above.

I think they were wanting some type of redundancy? Which is a great thing!

I've never had a brownout issue on A123's or even on 2S Lipo direct.

Do-rag

100cc
Bunky F. Knuckle;15312 wrote: I think they were wanting some type of redundancy? Which is a great thing!

I've never had a brownout issue on A123's or even on 2S Lipo direct.

If what they are looking for is redundancy then what you suggested is a very good idea. If all works I just wanna have fun:shaking-hands-smile

quadracer

100cc
Running the two batteries in parallel doesn't do much for redundancy, as the packs are not isolated from one another, and one pack going bad can take the other out with it. A Battshare module or Powersafe Rx will accomplish that.