• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Soloshot anybody? Anyone, anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Just a quick update. I received several emails asking if a faster plane might make the SoloShot2 track differently and while I thought it would be worse I had not tried it so went through the new setup (new firmware installed) and repeated the test on my AeroWorks 50cc Edge 540. Results were as I suspected, a little worse.

I purposely held the Edge in a steep climb once to give the SoloShot2 more time to "catch up", thinking the plane was almost stationary to the camera with the exception of climbing. No dice, what appears to be a vertical tracking limit persists.

SleepyC

150cc
ANOTHER UPDATE!

View this email in your browser

We're keeping you on your toes - and up to date - with the raddest, most effective SOLOSHOT2 Firmware.

Check out the most current improvements by downloading and installing Firmware Version 3.0.2 here.

Here's the latest:

• Improved tilt tracking
  • Increased tilt range to 140 degrees (80 degrees up and 60 degrees down)
  • Enhanced Multi-Mode set up functionality (single Base tracking multiple Tags)
  • Smoothed Multi-Angle tracking (multiple Bases tracking a single Tag)
Our robots are constantly evolving to serve your needs. Thank you for letting us know what works best for you!

Cheers!
Team SOLOSHOT

The first two, tilt tracking and tilt range are the two primary issues we have been having with the SoloShot2 so I look forward to trying it once again this weekend given some weather.

The next issue for us is to find an easy way to mount the tag on aircraft that doesn't trip the scene marker feature. I'm working on an elastic strap and a bit of foam rubber under the tag to isolate it some from the engine vibrations on big gassers. Last week I tried a bunch of foam under the tag and I think that allowed too much p and down and actually tripped the scene marker more. This weekend a thinner piece of rubber to soak up some vibration without allowing the tag to bounce, hopefully.

SleepyC

150cc
The first two, tilt tracking and tilt range are the two primary issues we have been having with the SoloShot2 so I look forward to trying it once again this weekend given some weather.

The next issue for us is to find an easy way to mount the tag on aircraft that doesn't trip the scene marker feature. I'm working on an elastic strap and a bit of foam rubber under the tag to isolate it some from the engine vibrations on big gassers. Last week I tried a bunch of foam under the tag and I think that allowed too much p and down and actually tripped the scene marker more. This weekend a thinner piece of rubber to soak up some vibration without allowing the tag to bounce, hopefully.

Try a flight control mount from a quad. I bet this would rock!

mount.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161667363013?lpid=82&chn=ps

I need to come up with a mounting system that can be moved from plane to plane without having to modify the planes. That all hinges on this thing actually working though. If it gets to where it will track general airplanes reliably we can look at coming up with mounts for the tag.

SleepyC

150cc
I need to come up with a mounting system that can be moved from plane to plane without having to modify the planes. That all hinges on this thing actually working though. If it gets to where it will track general airplanes reliably we can look at coming up with mounts for the tag.

Those mounts are $5, get a few of them and use that super velcro (the clear stuff with the stick and ball instead of loops) probably cost ya $30 for a pile of planes!

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
Tom, thanks for the updates. I'm enjoying following along because I'd really like one of these when the issues get sorted out.

Those mounts are $5, get a few of them and use that super velcro (the clear stuff with the stick and ball instead of loops) probably cost ya $30 for a pile of planes!
I am working with some elastic hook and loop material. I want to figure out a way to mount the tag without sticking anything to the covering or paint as that always seems to pull up what it sticks to if it is strong enough to keep the tag in place. Plus the tag holder is tough to hold with anything other than a strap. I hope that eventually SoloShot comes up with more mounting options that might be easier to adapt to more vehicles.

This is the best so far, that I can get with this system.

I am using red-red-green

I am still not happy with it

Wish it was better. Anyone have any advice?