• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

servo balancing

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I think this still limits endpoints like subtrim
Actually, it doesn't limit e.p.a.. Hitec programmable servos allow for programming e.p.a. in the programmer. If for example the end point adjustment is altered, the subtrim feature in the radio still has full affect or useage. When programming, I typically set my direction of rotation, (if I need to change it) then set my e.p.a's., then set one servo full travel both directions. Then set each subsequent servo to match. And finally, adjustment of each turnbuckle. This still gives availability of using the e.p.a. in the radio as well as subtrim for final fine tuning for smooth bind free operation.

Last edited:

skibum44

70cc twin V2
I meant to say you are still limited by the mechanical endpoint of the servo... this may not be beneficial when trying to get full throws attempting to maximize mechanical advantage. The same way using sub trim limits this.

Edit: and maybe servo frequency output of a particular radio. I'll butt out and let the pros work this out.

Last edited:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
It does but programming servos allows you to use one channel on receiver.

Only true if your inner and outer geometry is absolutely exactly correct. VERY VERY rare on ARF aircraft, as a matter of fact I've never really seen an ARF with perfect geometry on the aileron servos.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Only true if your inner and outer geometry is absolutely exactly correct. VERY VERY rare on ARF aircraft, as a matter of fact I've never really seen an ARF with perfect geometry on the aileron servos.
Exactly very true. Especially if the control horns being used are not of the stud configuration. It is much more difficult (but not impossible) to get a perfectly quite no bind setup. Good info Terry.

Buddy5303

70cc twin V2

That is true. That should be the first thing you get right regardless what servo you want to use. Your right arfs normally need modifications to get them right. I just went through this with a pilot airframe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I meant to say you are still limited by the mechanical endpoint of the servo... this may not be beneficial when trying to get full throws attempting to maximize mechanical advantage. The same way using sub trim limits this.

Edit: and maybe servo frequency output of a particular radio. I'll butt out and let the pros work this out.

Hitec servos have mechanical stops at slightly more than 180 degrees of movement. Unless you program the servo way off center, then it should not affect range of motion.

skibum44

70cc twin V2
Hitec servos have mechanical stops at slightly more than 180 degrees of movement. Unless you program the servo way off center, then it should not affect range of motion.

Let me get this straight... on a hitec servo u could change the frequency input received to the frequency output of the servo. If so that is awesome. Don't get me wrong I have almost exclusively used hitec (love their CS), but their lack of high torque high speed has me looking elsewhere. Not looking to spend $200 a servo.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Let me get this straight... on a hitec servo u could change the frequency input received to the frequency output of the servo. If so that is awesome. Don't get me wrong I have almost exclusively used hitec (love their CS), but their lack of high torque high speed has me looking elsewhere. Not looking to spend $200 a servo.
Lack of high torque/high speed? HS7954SH=403oz@7.4=.12 transit $70.00
HS7950TH=486oz@7.4=.14 transit $115.00
And as pointed out if you want "REALLY" top shelf...(as mentioned)
HSB9380TH=472oz@7.4=.14 transit
$130ish.
If you can sacrifice a little speed for pure out of this world "Hulk" beasty grunt, HS-M7990TH(full on bad ass magnetic encoder)=611oz@7.4=.17 transit
$132.00
Not to mention all are fully programmable. While there are servos out there that "claim" faster speed specs, (A sacrifice for speed will be noticed in exchange for torque) I question the actual torque and centering accuracy as well as the longevity and integrity of the servo. Not to mention the support if I ever need service.