• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Restoring The Laser

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well,

I got my graphics ordered from @Decal Dennis for my Laser last night so the last thing I need to order is my cowl and wheel pants. I don't have a clue when I'm going to have time to work on removing the firewall, but that's my next course of action. I just hope it's not going to be the PITA I think it's going to be. I may try heating up the epoxy from the back side of the fire wall and see if that will soften it up any. If not, it'll be time to take the dremel tool & saw blade to it. Come to think of it, if you look at the profile picture of the Laser on the previous page, you will notice a considerable gap between the spinner back plate and the front of the cowl. With that gap and the fact that the 3W70 twin is longer than the DLE, I may be able to just cut the old firewall off from the fuse sides and the fuse bottom. Then just cut out a new firewall traced from the opening. Shoot, if I can do that, it will even help out the balance a little bit.

Wish me luck fellas, I'm going to need it. . . . . :yesss:

JeffH

New to GSN!
We will just take a dremel multi-max with the thin blade and go right through the glue joint on each side of the firewall. Get the centerlines on the new firewall so that we can make the cutouts for the new engine, then jig the fuse level, and use an angle finder to set the up-down thrust while the glue dries. We will pin the firewall and probably put some carbon cloth on the inside corners.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Fella's,

Jeff is the person who is kind enough to help me with my Laser. Having his help will make the job MUCH easier. . . .:yesss:

Thanks @JeffH,
As usual, I forgot to order my cowl and wheel pants. I will do it this afternoon.

See ya tomorrow at the field.

David

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I know this plane is going to be sport flown but that 3dub 70 will probably not need any down thrust and I personally would put 2.5 to 3 degrees of right thrust in it. Very high torque engine and big prop it will swing. I fly mostly 3D and actually have about 1 to 1.5 degrees of up thrust with my big twins. Now this is just my recommendation. Do what you feel is best for how you want it to fly and are going to fly it;). I have also "doweled in" fire walls/motor plates and recommend that it be 1/4" to 3/8" thick of laminated plywood. I also used the sichkibob scure's (about 3/16"diameter) to pin in the fire walls. Typically 6 on each side. I would use the carbon cloth under and on top of triangle stock gussets for the side corners. :)

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Thanks Kelly, :attaboy:

Well Fellas, my friend that owns the LHS came through for me, like I knew he would. He sent two of the servo's I had for the ailerons, back to Hobbico and they sent me two servo's with almost twice the torque of the ones I had, so I should be good to go . . . . . . :yesss: I am not what anyone would call a very religious person, but I count my blessings every day because I am truly a lucky man to have friends like I have. Most of whom came from meeting them in this AWESOME hobby we all share.

I'm going to call it a night, because I'm beat. Besides, I'm going flying tomorrow. Unfortunately I won't be flying what I really wanted to because I didn't have a chance to finish it, but I'm going just the same.

Good night. . . . . . :sleepy:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I am not what anyone would call a very religious person, but I count my blessings every day because I am truly a lucky man to have friends like I have. Most of whom came from meeting them in this AWESOME hobby we all share.

Religion is one thing and "Faith" another.....Some one with strong Faith has my upmost respect because we share a common good among ourselves. Be it RC or any other like interest. I am one not ashamed or afraid to express this like you David.:way_to_go:.
God has blessed me too! It's only when he thinks "enough is enough" of me is when I shut my pie hole:laughing:.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
The feeling is mutual, Kelly. I have met allot of great people here and you are definitely one of them. I have already put in for a weeks vacation next spring with my full intentions of going to Joe Nall. I don't know if it will work out, but I'm sure going to try. I'd love to meet some of you guys I spend so much time with here on GSN. I know it would be a blast, for sure.:yesss: