• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Restoring The Laser

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I did not mean to disappear but I budget myself to a 5GB data card each month for my hot spot. This month I budgeted only 2 gigs for I just had to get myself some RC goodies for Christmas!:). Got to get my Hexcop and QQ Extra 300 foamy built!

1210151809-00.jpg
1210151810-00.jpg

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I'm not cheating, HONEST . . . :roflmao: All I did last night was pulled the instruction booklet, if you can call it that, and read through them. Doing that quenched ANY desire I may have had to build the plane myself. I'm going to leave it to someone who won't screw it up.:yesss:

BalsaDust

I'm not cheating, HONEST . . . :roflmao: All I did last night was pulled the instruction booklet, if you can call it that, and read through them. Doing that quenched ANY desire I may have had to build the plane myself. I'm going to leave it to someone who won't screw it up.:yesss:

But building is so much fun. I say build it but if not there are plenty of people who will build for you. Speaking of building I need to get in the shop and finish covering these two planes so I can ship them to their owners and get back to my own stuff.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
You two crack me up. . . . . . . .:LOL_gif:.

@cbarnes0061, I know there's all the help someone would need on this site with building the Carden, but I haven't built anything larger than a 60 size Ultrasport and I've wanted this kit for a long long time. So, I'm going to hand it off to my buddy to build it for me.

Back to the subject at hand, I got my cowl and wheel pants from Fiberglass Specialties this morning. They are epoxy glass pieces and they are VERY nice indeed. The are light weight and very smooth. . . . :big_yes:. Speaking of the cowl, it dawned on me after I took it out of the box and I think I'm going to have to split the cowl in half to fit the twin inside. That's not a bad thing because it will give me the opportunity to add some baffling to help the motor run nice and cool. It's just a little extra work that I hadn't planned on having to do.

After I meet my father and brother for breakfast in the morning, I'm going to the LHS and pick up a piece of 1/4" aircraft ply and a 3/32" solid carbon fiber rod. Jeff and I are going to sandwich some carbon fiber mat between two layers of the plywood to make up the fire wall for the Laser and we're going to cut the carbon fiber rod into dowels and use them to pin the new fire wall to the front of the plane. That will make the fire wall plenty strong enough for the 3Dub.

I'm starting to get excited about the Laser again. Hopefully work will afford me some "shop time" over the holidays so I can do some work on it. If not, I'm going to have to depend on Rob posting on his Yak progress to keep me sane. . . . . :laughing:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Geez,

The weather must not be worth a hoot across the USA. Everyone is working on their planes and posting on their Build Threads. Heck, I had to actually go to Page 2 to find my thread . . . . .:eek:.

I've been looking at the Savox servos again recently and I've also started looking at MKS servos too. Looking at both of these manufacturers and allot more probably, my thoughts on receiver and ignition batteries has changed as well. Meaning, since most servos manufacturers rate their higher voltage servos for either 6 volts, 7.4 volts or 8.X volts why use A123 batteries when I can get Lion batteries for nearly the same cost and have 7.2 volts available to the servo's? The servos I've been looking at most are the Savox SB-2274SG , SB-2273SG and the SB-2270SG. At 7.4 volts, they range in torque from 347 oz. in to over 444 oz.in. There are slight differences in speed of these three, but my question still is, why not spend the extra $5.00 each and get the SB-2270SG's? They are the slowest of the three, but have the highest available torque. I've flown enough to feel and see the difference between analog and digital servos, but will a sec/60 difference of 0.04 make any difference to a plane that will probably weigh +/- 25 pounds ready to fly? I'm sure I am over thinking this, but I guess it's the engineer in me. What am I missing here? Can someone enlighten me?

TIA Fellas

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
David.......

Make a list of how plane performance and flying style are going to influence your servo choice.

Example.....1) 30% Lazer @25 pounds = Heavy wing loading. (To stupid right now to figure the actual wing loading lol but it is going to be close to 30oz a sq in).

2) Aerobatic airplane design ( inherently unstable as compared to high wing trainers and such)

3) I will mostly be flying circles, loops, snap rolls, inverted flight and flying moderately high speeds.

Now.......Consider that a 50ozin servo will do this plane fine as stated above but will be taxed to its limits.

100 ozin and I feel good flying the plane but don't do any thing really absurd.

250oz in and I got all the authority to fly as stated and not even think about having a servo issue.
Servo speed is not really a concern cuz I fly as stated. .20 transit time is not an issue. I have lots of expo any way (50% or better).

Now consider your budget and quality concern and try to see what matches up. You will find TONS of choices!

So...... I really have not helped one damn bit:laughing:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Kelly,

Sorry for delay in response Buddy, but you helped more than you think. I still haven't made up my mind, but I have a good baseline for what I think I need as far as performance out of the servos I need for the Laser. Just to keep my sanity, I am going to narrow my choices to either Savox or MKS servos. I've heard and read allot of good things about both. I am still open to any and all suggestions. I still have quite a while to make up my mind though, which is a good thing . . . . :yesss: