• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Replacement Horizontal Stab for a Carden Cap?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Hi folks,

Just getting my shop cleaned up now that the big Cub is flying and was looking at the Carden 35% Cap that I started rebuilding last year. If it's going to fly it needs a new horizontal stabilizer.

I'm happy to buy the foam cores and go from there but where would I possibly find them? I did a quick google search and found nothing.

I can also scratch build a new stabilizer using balsa built up techniques but I'd be guessing at what would make it strong enough. Does anyone have something similar that I could copy? Even if it isn't the same airplane, basics like spar thickness and placement, rib spacing, etc. would be helpful.

Then again I can use it to fuel the chiminea but I'm not at that point with it yet.

Thanks!
Bart

mikeh

70cc twin V2
As long as ur not in too much of a hurry. I have a buddy that has a 35% Carden cap. He lives about 45 minutes from me but I'm sure I could get you airfoils, root dimensions, tip dimensions, elevator dimensions. I could send them to you? Depending on how far you want to take this I could maybe cut a set out of foam for you?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Mike,
Thanks for the offer to help! The horizontal stab on the plane I have could be used to make templates to cut foam and I could pick it apart to get all of the dimensions correct but I figured I'd ask in case there was someone out there already cutting stuff like this.
What do you have for a foam cutter? I made a frame to hold a cutting wire a while back but it would probably be too small for this.

mikeh

70cc twin V2
Bartman I'm by no means a pro. I've cut 35% wings, belly pans, stabs and lastly some wings for an EDF. I made up some bows out of 1X2's. My templates were made from formica or 1/32 plywood. You will get a nicer cut from the formica but it is a bitch to work with. My power supply for the the little stuff is a 12v battery charger with adjustable amps. Its border line at times but gets me by. My next build I will buy a bigger supply. I use 26ga nichrome wire. Depending on the cord thickness you should be able to buy some white beaded foam at Menards. They only carry 2" thickness though. Hope this helps yah out!
20160409_220841.jpg
20160409_220850.jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I was just looking at the parts I'd need to replace and it looks like everything is in good enough shape to make good templates and to get the span, chords, etc. correct. My hotwire bow will have to be expanded but it's just a matter of making a new cross-bar for it so maybe this will get back on the bench after Joe Nall. Maybe I should keep that 3W I'm trying to sell after all! :(

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I emailed Dennis from Carden Aircraft and he's been very helpful. No spares on hand (not that I really expected that!) but he's answered a few questions and has me pointed in the right direction.

thank you to you too @mikeh

it looks like a tracing of the stab tip will get me that template and it looks like the root profile is on the plans that I happen to have. I can measure the rest, modify my wire cutter, and make the templates to cut new cores.

Something to do after Joe Nall after all.