• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Redwing RC 30cc (76") Extra 330sc

gyro

GSN Contributor
How does this plane compare to the Aerobees Extra you did the build and review on earlier in the year?

Two very different planes. The 71" is more floaty, where as the 76" is more violent and high energy.

I'm working on a post maiden update, stay tuned!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Pics!

DSC_0940-1.jpgDSC_0941-1.jpgDSC_0942-1.jpgDSC_0943-5.jpgDSC_0962-18.jpgDSC_0981-1.jpgDSC_0984-40.jpgDSC_1007-1.jpgDSC_1016-1.jpgDSC_1046-1.jpgDSC_1049-1.jpgDSC_1050-1.jpgDSC_1057-1.jpgDSC_1059-1.jpgDSC_1064-1.jpgDSC_1068-1.jpgDSC_1073-1.jpgDSC_1078-1.jpgDSC_1085-1.jpg

I rarely watch 10 minute flight videos from start to finish. That was great. Still researching my options but this plane is rocketing to the top of my list.

Couple of questions. I know this plane is a little heavier than the Aerobees Extra so how do you think the Redwing Extra will perform with the DLE 30CC vs the 35CC? Also, did you have any trouble getting the CG right? And finally what drove you to change the thrust angle mentioned in a previous post?

Thanks

gyro

GSN Contributor
I rarely watch 10 minute flight videos from start to finish. That was great. Still researching my options but this plane is rocketing to the top of my list.

Couple of questions. I know this plane is a little heavier than the Aerobees Extra so how do you think the Redwing Extra will perform with the DLE 30CC vs the 35CC? Also, did you have any trouble getting the CG right? And finally what drove you to change the thrust angle mentioned in a previous post?

Thanks

how much up thrust did you have to add. and how did you ad it.?
thanks

I think it'll fly fine with a well tuned DLE30. You may need to add a few ounces of weight, or use a nice Pitts muffler (I am).
That was literally the second flight on the DA and the power to weight was very nice!

The up thrust was an experiment by myself and Tim at redwing to improve performance on the plane. Redwing is in the process of issuing a service bulletin and instructions, but the short version is adding 2 degrees of up thrust really makes the plane fly even better than the original design.

To do it, add 3 small washers on the bottom motor mounts where they meet the firewall. You may need to also shim the cowl to match.

I'll be adding a few more washers to mine (I've only got one on each side right now) and will take some photos of what I do.

So as you saw in the video, it flies fine with only a small improvement on the thrust angle, I'll get another vid as soon as the work is done.
Where's a video of you flying it? Sounds amazing with that DA35 in it and wow she looks beautiful!

It isn't anywhere, there isn't one. :p give people and inch and they want a foot, jeeez

Yeah, the da35 is sweet :D
I was VERY impressed with the power and smooth responsiveness of the engine... Another plus was I didn't have to adjust the needles at all. Just bolt on and go shred the sky!

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
I think it'll fly fine with a well tuned DLE30. You may need to add a few ounces of weight, or use a nice Pitts muffler (I am).
That was literally the second flight on the DA and the power to weight was very nice!

The up thrust was an experiment by myself and Tim at redwing to improve performance on the plane. Redwing is in the process of issuing a service bulletin and instructions, but the short version is adding 2 degrees of up thrust really makes the plane fly even better than the original design.

To do it, add 3 small washers on the bottom motor mounts where they meet the firewall. You may need to also shim the cowl to match.

I'll be adding a few more washers to mine (I've only got one on each side right now) and will take some photos of what I do.

So as you saw in the video, it flies fine with only a small improvement on the thrust angle, I'll get another vid as soon as the work is done.

It isn't anywhere, there isn't one. :p give people and inch and they want a foot, jeeez

Yeah, the da35 is sweet :D
I was VERY impressed with the power and smooth responsiveness of the engine... Another plus was I didn't have to adjust the needles at all. Just bolt on and go shred the sky!

Awesome man! Congrats on a beauty of a plane!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Got the up thrust mod done, took me about 1.5 hrs to do, probably could've been less but I kept the engine mounted through the process.

Added about 2.9mm that Tim at RedwingRC recommended, and one extra washer on top and bottom for spinner spacing. This should add a total of about 2% of up thrust.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411852199.214924.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1411852209.402332.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1411852218.657402.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1411852230.815620.jpg

I had to shim the cowl for alignment, and used some pieces of a rubber grommet and glued them to the cowl ring.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411852248.388309.jpg

All is done and doesn't look too bad :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411852271.833703.jpg