• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Rebuilding the Compy MX2.

reyn3545

100cc
Done! Took longer to get the cowl off than to fix the can.

I may lay low at work Monday or Tuesday and sneak out to the field for a few more flights!

Hopefully around New Years, I'll have a new fuse and cowl. Then soon after, I would hope that I have a completed airframe. Already have the canopy and wheel panties!

reyn3545

100cc
I can send you bags full of useless metric hardware!

That's one area where I wish they would step up to their competition. I really don't care whether it's metric or standard, but turnbuckles instead of threaded rod would be a nice first step. I'll usually get turnbuckle style 4-40 push rods, then use the supplied metric ball links on the control surface end, and 4-40 ball links on the servo end. That way you still get a nice tight fit at the control surface.

reyn3545

100cc
Here's a few of my other CARF... I think this was from when I maidened a few months ago... up and down in 1 piece!
DSC_4930_6168.JPG
DSC_4935_6171.JPG
DSC_4951_6186.JPG
DSC_4952_6187.JPG
DSC_4961_6196.JPG

DSC_4935_6171.JPG
DSC_4951_6186.JPG
DSC_4952_6187.JPG
DSC_4961_6196.JPG

reyn3545

100cc
It was a very mild weather day for December, temps probably in the high 50's and light winds, so I loaded the MX2 up and went to the field. After BS-ing for 15 or 20 minutes, I opened up the trailer, drug out the plane and figured out pretty quickly that I left the wing tube at home. Schidt.

So, I unhooked the trailer, went back home and got the tube. It was a great (half) day of flying, got about 4 flights in on the plane. It drops the nose in an inverted 45, so I need to shift the batteries back a little. With no mixing and a nose heavy plane, it REALLY likes to nose dive if you give over about half rudder.

I probably won't make it back to the field before the new year, so I should have some time to shift the batteries back. Once that's dialed in, I can set some simple mixes and get to focus on having some fun. This plane is so light on the wings, it goes exactly where you point it, and it floats nicely into a landing.... I could never figure out why it wasn't a better seller.

The MX is a great plane. I wish it snapped a little cleaner but I'm ok with it. You will find it's sensitive to CG location as far as yaw and pitch coupling go.

Should have my parts around the end of this month.

Im building a heli this weekend, and possibly flying it too, and then I'll get back on all my rebuilds.

reyn3545

100cc
For a wood frame plane, I agree, 30 minute epoxy gives you plenty of working time, soaks into the balsa a little bit, and holds very well.

reyn3545

100cc
The winds were sorta calm today (wound up a little gusty, but good for December), so I took the MX2 to the field to get the CG worked out. I had to shift 2 of the 3 batteries back over a foot, and the plane flew pretty well. Unfortunately, with it balanced where I like for flying, I do need to push the nose down a little on landings. I wasn't thinking about that on my last flight, and it ballooned up just a little right as it should have been settling on to the wheels... and when they did finally plop on to the runway, it popped the left side of the gear plate loose... just a little bit. So, I have a little repair work to do, nothing new on one of these planes. Anyway, it's balanced well now, and I can start working on the mixes. It looks like it won't need much if any rudder/aileron, but it will need some rudder/elevator. I'll also have to add some differential to stop the top hinged ailerons from barrel rolling like they do. Pretty simple changes, and it should be a pretty good flying plane. More than enough power with the 157CS-TS.