• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Rebuilding the Compy MX2.

reyn3545

100cc
yea, but you're looking at the clean end of the table!

I drug it out to the yard again to piss off the neighbors and work on the high end (not scared of prop bolts anymore)... it's getting about 5400 RPM on a 29x12x3.  I think I can live with that.  Should give mid to upper 60's in thrust, good for a 38 pound plane.

I'm waiting on a sheet of CF board to show up from McMaster tomorrow, then I'll get the batteries mounted.  I still need to cut an air exit hole in the bottom of the fuse, but I think that will be it! 

It is very odd tuning one of these... it's just about exactly where AI's website suggests... 2 turns on the low end, and 3/4 on the high end.  Very strange that the top would be so lean, but that's what they say, and that's what seems to work, so who am I to second guess that?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Bunky.F.Knuckle said
Your table is cleaner than mine was about 2 months ago......  Mine is messy again.  Need to get it cleaned off again for the next 3 rebuilds.
You should see mine at present. OIY!!! Time to tidy up a bit and get busy again.

reyn3545

100cc
OK... mine's done.  I got the batteries tied down, plane is CG'd, wheel pants on, air exit holes cut in the fuse bottom.  I can't think of anything else I haven't done.  I'm starting out with the CG on the wing tube, but if I remember, about an inch back of center is a pretty good spot.

7672B.JPG

7663.jpg

Yea boyeee get that thing going again so we can formate!  Mine is re-dialed in and ripping now!

FYI for the best bond in the fuse, epoxy on epoxy is the ticket.  30 min works great, especially if you mix in some milled fibers for strength/thickness and/or cab-o-sil or glass beads again for thickness.  These increase the air trapped inside and make it cook off quicker to so be aware of that.

My poor gal has had her whole landing gear plate re-installed with a new one and gobs of epoxy with milled Kevlar in it.  That gear plate and forward fuselage will be the only thing left of mine hehe....

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Silvanskii said
7672B.JPG

7663.jpg

Yea boyeee get that thing going again so we can formate!  Mine is re-dialed in and ripping now!

FYI for the best bond in the fuse, epoxy on epoxy is the ticket.  30 min works great, especially if you mix in some milled fibers for strength/thickness and/or cab-o-sil or glass beads again for thickness.  These increase the air trapped inside and make it cook off quicker to so be aware of that.

My poor gal has had her whole landing gear plate re-installed with a new one and gobs of epoxy with milled Kevlar in it.  That gear plate and forward fuselage will be the only thing left of mine hehe....
Man...that is 
awesome-smiley-emoticon.gif
smoke!!!!

Mikeq

150cc
stangflyer said

Silvanskii said
7672B.JPG

7663.jpg

Man...that is 
awesome-smiley-emoticon.gif
smoke!!!!
Yeah that second pic looks like maybe a knife edge spin...nice pics
encouragement.png

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Judging from the elevator and rudder action goin' on, I would have to agree. I would love to have smoke on a plane or two. Just afraid of ruining the covering. Hence the reason I am seriously considering a comp. airframe.