• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Rebuilding the Compy MX2.

Got the start of my parts coming in...  Just a canopy and wheel panties.  Gotta keep the wait up for the fuse and hatch.  I believe that they are gonna be pulled together.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
reyn3545 said
I had an electric that smoked like that once.  Once.

giggling.gif

reyn3545

100cc
It's been a cold, rainy, windy weekend, so I thought I'd go ahead and get the baffles built.  I've never been a real craftsman at this, and today's creation is no exception, but it should push air in the right direction.  I think that's the name of the game.

They're all glued in place, and I've given them a wet coat of West Systems epoxy.  Once that cures, I'll probably paint them black.  

baffles.jpg

Mikeq

150cc
They look good to me..I'd be happy with that..I really like the split cowl. Did you split it or does it come that way?

reyn3545

100cc
The MX-2 comes with a split cowl.  I wasn't a fan of them in the beginning, but for things like building the baffles, split cowls are great.  I think most of the newer planes are coming with split cowl... I know the 330SC, and the 2.3 Edge do.  

I build the Pitts that you see in my avatar.  It has a split cowl, but the top half of the cowl is still build onto the fuselage.  I took a diamond cutter on the dremel and cut the top of the cowl off so that it would be removable also... saves a TON of time when you need to adjust the valves on the radial engine.  I don't know for the life of me why they only made the bottom of the Pitts cowl removable.

Mikeq

150cc
That is a little strange having the top part non-removable... Nice Pitts...do you have any videos of it in flight? I when on CARF's website this morning and didn't see the MX-2 listed...maybe they discontinued it?

reyn3545

100cc
No flying videos... I only have half a dozen or so flights on it so far, just boring circles, nothing worth filming.

And yes, the MX-2 has been discontinued.  They did a fire sale on remaining inventory about a year ago, and that's where the original owner bought the plane that I'm finishing now.  

The MX-2 is a great flying plane, designed for anywhere from a 100cc to a 150cc motor, but the DA170 will fit in and fly nicely.  The 3W 157CS TS is a little smaller than that, but it has more torque and horsepower than a DA170, so seems to reason that it should be just a little more fun to fly.  The plane was always just a bit of a bastard step-child... They took the old Giles 202 fuselage, moved the wing down just a little bit, modified the 100cc Extra wings to include fillets where the wing meets the fuse, and they modified the cowl just a little.  It really is a great flying plane, but it was a little of a "tweener" in size... bigger than a 35%, so 100cc flyers didn't want something that big, but smaller than a typical 40%, so the 150+cc flyers wanted more wingspan.  It has virtually no rudder/aileron coupling, and very little rudder/elevator coupling once you get the CG set, less than any other plane I've owned.  So, looks like CARF is focused on Extras, Edges, Yaks and Sukhois for the foreseeable future.  

MX Aviation also pulled out of the Red Bull series, so maybe folks at CARF don't feel like the name MX-2 has any real following anymore...they may be right, and in the end, I guess that's what drives sales.