• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Real Flight anyone?????

SleepyC

150cc
Yeppers! And unless you have at least 8GB of RAM, You'll have to boot straight into Windows.

Huck.. will it run decently on this?
Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 11.04.09 AM.png

Patroller

70cc twin V2
Don't I need a version of Windows?
I am a mac guy, and have been one since the begining (1984). I have been running RF 7 on my Macbook Pro 15" (2.7 ghz Intel Core i7, early 2013) since it came out. I have avoided the 7.5 "upgrade" due my resistance to send these people any more of my money.

You first have to get a version of windows that is not an upgrade but a full copy. You can get either the full retail or a OEM kit. The OEM is cheaper, but it the serial number is locked to a specific laptop or computer. The retail version can be moved if you are planning on a new laptop in the future. I would recommend Windows 7 over 8, at least until MS fixes it one more time.

The next step is to partition your hard drive. This is relatively simple, but you will need a large enough one to accommodate all of windows. With the newer laptops with flash based drives this can be a problem. I currently have 120 gb for my windows partition. If you need all the space for OS 10, and don't have enough room for windows then I would not bother. Before RF I have gotten away with a 16 to 32 gb partition with no issues. Just like most video games, RF takes up a lot of disc space.

For flying CP helicopters I have switched to using CGM Heli Simulator. It is native mac application. I can even use my RF controller.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Yup, I've got a plane to build tomorrow. Hope through the Winter we can get more guy's to joint, should be fun!!
So Terry.... I installed the files you sent me. Very cool I might add. Just so happens that I just bought the RF 7 a couple of months ago. Just before the 7.5 release. At the same time I was going to install the files you sent, RF just automatically upgraded me "FREE" of charge to the 7.5. Pretty cool stuff. Curious though...the PAU and the Extra you sent files on....they now fly true to life and just like the real ones? Very impressive..... You're pretty much "top shelf" in my book Terry...thanks.

SlowHuck

Bling, bling for flying things.
Huck.. will it run decently on this?
View attachment 1372
You're good! With 16GB you could actually run Parallels comfortably (Windows in emulation under OS X),if you'd rather not boot either/or. There are also some free emulators (virtual machines) out there that come with a limited version of windows that you could try, but I am wary of them. They're kinda clunky and I've gotten infected with adware in the process of using them. Google "Windows emulator Mac." Parallels is the best way to go, but it ain't free!

I agree with everything @Patroller; says. You'l need either a writable CD or an 8GB thumb drive for the install, But bootcamp makes the install and setup fairly straight forward. There are a couple of 'gatchas' that are easy to miss, but it will work. Takes a while, though.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Stang, I think the do but you also need to make sure that your simulator has the reality setting to advanced I think - I will verify that tonight. The setting has three options, and you want the highest one.

The power on the promethius as set so that the plane flies very heavy. It is absolutely perfect for training on rollers and harriers because if you miss the rudder timing or throttle input it falls out just like a real plane.

I made a LOT of adjustments on the PAU edge in a series of outings flying my 540T with the DA120. I'd go home and tweak until it felt like the real one. It has had adjustments on all surfaces, airfoils and even the fuselage weight distribution, etc. It also has the rudder / elevator high rates on a separate switch from ailerons to practice snaps better.