• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

TonyHallo

150cc
I spent yesterday studying the plans and deciding what the wing connection will look like. There are 5 sheets and I needed info from every one so there was a bit of un rolling and rolling. The plans show 1/2" aluminum tubes that are screwed to the spars. I plan to simply cut tongues on the spars and build boxes, I bought the spar sections long for this reason. I also cut out the front rib sections. The plans show rib sections are from 1/4" balsa while i decided to use scrap pieces of 1/4" lite ply that I have collected over the years, one piece had a price sticker from a hobby shop that closed 25 years ago. Every once in a while I find a piece of balsa sheeting with Sig blue printing on it. I do hate the stickers they put on today. Each rib weight 5 grams before drilling and 3 afterwards. I used a 1" Forstner bit for drilling.
IMG_2225.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Not sure of my answer but two things come to mind one drilling holes in an aluminum tube really weakens the tube. The second question is this is a big plane no sure of the weight or wingspan but 1/2 wing tube does not seem big enough, or have I miss understood the function of the tube.

TonyHallo

150cc
IMG_2226.JPG
IMG_2227.JPG
Not sure of my answer but two things come to mind one drilling holes in an aluminum tube really weakens the tube. The second question is this is a big plane no sure of the weight or wingspan but 1/2 wing tube does not seem big enough, or have I miss understood the function of the tube.
Here are photos of the plans, the wing tubes are more in shear rather than bending like the typical wing tube we think about. The lift struts handle the majority on the vertical lift. The Balsa USA 1/3 scale Super Cub uses two 5/16 wood dowels at the root, again fully functional lift struts are utilized.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
View attachment 108034 View attachment 108035
Here are photos of the plans, the wing tubes are more in shear rather than bending like the typical wing tube we think about. The lift struts handle the majority on the vertical lift. The Balsa USA 1/3 scale Super Cub uses two 5/16 wood dowels at the root, again fully functional lift struts are utilized.
My concern’s were are not justified as you have stated the tubes are under shear they will work just fine sorry for that.

Hey Tony. Hope you are well and I will be watching your build. Might be ready to fly at our giant scale event this year ? Hoping to have my Hostetler RV-4 ready fly by that time.

Attachments

• IMG_2028.JPG
    IMG_2028.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 397

TonyHallo

150cc
All is well Randy, I hope to bring a Byron Glasair to your fly in this year. I wish there were more fly in locally, it sure is fun getting out and seeing different planes. I just finished covering the wings for the Glasair before taping down the Champ plans. The fuselage is reading for paint work and waiting for warmer weather before starting.
IMG_2224.JPG
IMG_2033.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Nice looking job on the wings. The Glasair looks good to as said ready for paint. Nice size how big is it and what are you going to power it with. Never built a plane with a glass fuselage what is that like, now that you have which method do you prefer.