• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

TonyHallo

150cc
Put two flights on the Champ at Wally's Squadron and went out this morning to my home field and put 6 flights on it. About 25% of the club is at Wally's so no one was there. I have been playing with throttle to elevator mix and have it dialed in now at 10%. A lot of the problems I experienced early on were due to lack of down thrust, the plane would zoom up and become uncontrollable. I have 20% aileron to rudder mix now and that seems to work well. Next I plan to work on the throttle to rudder mix. Flew six flight today, it is flying better now that I feel comfortable enough to fly scale figure eights. The plane requires coordinated rudder to turn so that is coming along.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Put two flights on the Champ at Wally's Squadron and went out this morning to my home field and put 6 flights on it. About 25% of the club is at Wally's so no one was there. I have been playing with throttle to elevator mix and have it dialed in now at 10%. A lot of the problems I experienced early on were due to lack of down thrust, the plane would zoom up and become uncontrollable. I have 20% aileron to rudder mix now and that seems to work well. Next I plan to work on the throttle to rudder mix. Flew six flight today, it is flying better now that I feel comfortable enough to fly scale figure eights. The plane requires coordinated rudder to turn so that is coming along.
Understand all the mixes you are doing, but not the one throttle to rudder are you just compensating for “P” factor.

TonyHallo

150cc
Compensating for lack of right thrust. Four more flights today at the BAMS (Butler Area Modelers Society). The field is a north/south runway, tuff to fly in the morning. Got there at 1400 and the place was empty, four flights and left at 1600, called it Miller Time. Tomorrow I plan to fly at the Indiana Flyers Club, meeting day. This will make four different fields in five days. Working on take offs and landings, just like learning to fly again with the Sig Kadett Mk 2! Kind of embarrassing!

TonyHallo

150cc
Picked up a miss in the engine, seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Decided to check the plugs. It appears the left cylinder is getting more oil than the right. I know when I took the left cylinder head off there was plenty of oil in the cylinder after sitting for almost a year. Note oil drops at top of cylinder.
This is what the plugs looked like. The right side plug looks good while the left side is oil fouling. The engine idles and ran good at full throttle but would miss at cruising speed. At any rate put two new CM6 plugs in this morning and I'll see what happens later today. May need a slight carb adjustment as well but it sounds good at idle and full throttle

Spark Plug Reading.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2543 (1).jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Picked up a miss in the engine, seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Decided to check the plugs. It appears the left cylinder is getting more oil than the right. I know when I took the left cylinder head off there was plenty of oil in the cylinder after sitting for almost a year. Note oil drops at top of cylinder.
This is what the plugs looked like. The right side plug looks good while the left side is oil fouling. The engine idles and ran good at full throttle but would miss at cruising speed. At any rate put two new CM6 plugs in this morning and I'll see what happens later today. May need a slight carb adjustment as well but it sounds good at idle and full throttle

View attachment 121591

View attachment 121590

View attachment 121589
I have question before I try to help, do you believe the colour spark plugs charts work or indicate properly with our engines with the amount of oil we use. And yes I agree with you that one cylinder is oily and not burning as clean as the other. Be interesting to see what two new plugs will do. If I may suggest only change the oily one. You could have some oil blow by on the one cylinder or a sticky ring.
looking at the pictures again the oily plug the outer top part is clean and bright why? That is confusing me.

Last edited: