• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
So they are not well liked but how good is there kits.

I don't know, after waiting several MONTHS for a kit and every month was a missed promised deadline I cancelled my order. Ordered my Cub that I'm building and then watched from the sidelines as classic pattern flyer after flyer reported the same issues.

Not for me. I lost most of a building season due to him.

TonyHallo

150cc
I had received the quote from SACMidwest.com last week for the Champ dash, I sent them a dash template and the attached photo from the 3 view I'm working from along with the fuel level gauge mount that mounts to the top of the dash. Received the completed dash today in the mail. Even included the primer and cabin heat knobs. Very happy, will be using their service for future projects.
Got first coat of primer on the cowl and windshield seal strip, always amazed how many flaws show up after the first coat. Weather is good tomorrow, might get the second round completed.
IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG

TonyHallo

150cc
But the second coat on the cowl an windshield seal strip, just one light coat, more pin holes and defects, the mold parting line is always a PIA. More filler, will block sand and spray some more tomorrow, might be last coat? If so will block sand with 320 to prepare for the Ekopoxy coat. Bought a 20'X25"x4mil roll of plastic to fashion by spray room in the back of the garage, color is not far off, can't wait to get all the parts back on the fuselage.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Helps that I own a plumbing company but pvc pipe is still cheap. I make a spray room out of pvc pipe and fittings (and plastic) No need to even glue the connections.

Remember that using a box fan as an exhaust fan AND flammable paint is not a good combo.

TonyHallo

150cc
The paint is water based so no solvents fumes to worry about. The exhaust fan that I use was salvaged from a overhead furnace from by brothers auto repair shop, believe it is 1/3 hp, it moves a lot of air, previously used a box fan. It is mounted on a piece of plywood that is the same size as one of the windows in the storm door, remove the glass and pop the fan in, seen in photo 1 below.. The garage is about 18' wide, I hang the plastic from the ceiling and drape it across the floor. In the second photo you can see where two window panels are removes and 4 25"x16" furnace filters are installed. I have a homemade air dryer made from salvaged parts when I was employed, it was a steam sample cooler, the housing is stainless steel and weights about 30 pounds, filed with used desiccant, might have a gallon of volume, regenerate the desiccant in the oven when the wife is on, it lasts a long time. Everything was developed over time from previous failures, the air dryer by far was the best addition. I want to add a steel piping header that will cool the air before it goes to the dryer, I have the pipe on hand just need to install it. The dryer is so massive it does a good job without the header so I'm in no hurry.
IMG_0901.JPG
IMG_0900.JPG

WMcNabb

150cc
The paint is water based so no solvents fumes to worry about. The exhaust fan that I use was salvaged from a overhead furnace from by brothers auto repair shop, believe it is 1/3 hp, it moves a lot of air, previously used a box fan. It is mounted on a piece of plywood that is the same size as one of the windows in the storm door, remove the glass and pop the fan in, seen in photo 1 below.. The garage is about 18' wide, I hang the plastic from the ceiling and drape it across the floor. In the second photo you can see where two window panels are removes and 4 25"x16" furnace filters are installed. I have a homemade air dryer made from salvaged parts when I was employed, it was a steam sample cooler, the housing is stainless steel and weights about 30 pounds, filed with used desiccant, might have a gallon of volume, regenerate the desiccant in the oven when the wife is on, it lasts a long time. Everything was developed over time from previous failures, the air dryer by far was the best addition. I want to add a steel piping header that will cool the air before it goes to the dryer, I have the pipe on hand just need to install it. The dryer is so massive it does a good job without the header so I'm in no hurry.
View attachment 117426 View attachment 117427

Looks GREAT!!! Nice work!