• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Radio Wars, Part 2

Note - remember Gary fly's these things. so is there any wonder why they want this nailed.....his rc plane mortality rate is errmmmmm :pompom:

I am joking Gary :)

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Having said that, a hitec Aurora 9 and an xps module and 29 dollar nano rx's be the shizzle. :) way better than dx8 :)

So do you have any data on the effect of the XPS module on overall latency?

from what I've read most of the Aurora's latency comes from slow computational time in the transmitter; that is the tx takes a while to process the stick position input and calculate (taking into account rates, exponential mixes etc) what the required output signal to send to the Tx should be. Basically it's similar to having a slow PC. So without gutting the Tx and removing it's computer processing unit (or possibly software updates) then there is no way to resolve that problem. add on modules I don't think could ever help much, if at all... unless you have data that shows otherwise?

Manta

70cc twin V2
Jim Drew posted it a while back somewhere and it was rather low. Im not sure where that intel is anymore tho. There is def a difference in feel tho

gyro

GSN Contributor
1- I am familiary with the latency involved in remote control aircraft operations from both an "operators" persepctive, having experienced it, and I understand that reasons it occurs in the systems that I've flown. That said, this is an entirely different discussion, as my experience with Latency is more from a satellite control perspective :)

2- Thanks Steve for a great Wiki article on Latency: http://www.3drcforums.com/showwiki.php?title=RC+Radio+Latency

3- My goal is to have available for prospective radio buyers: a plethora of good, acurate, and scientific data avaialbe in conjunction with member recommendations.

teookie

70cc twin V2
Jim Drew posted it a while back somewhere and it was rather low. Im not sure where that intel is anymore tho. There is def a difference in feel tho

If I recall correctly, the XPS module cuts the A9's latency in half, basically putting it on par with fast radios like the 8FG. Once the XPS TX launches, it will be the fastest radio out there by far. Of course, no one knows when it will launch...

Manta

70cc twin V2
Oh you mean the ghost radio ? ;)

Yep. I knew the latency with the xps module brought it down around the futaba and speckles radios.
My test proved it too. :)

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
If I recall correctly, the XPS module cuts the A9's latency in half, basically putting it on par with fast radios like the 8FG. Once the XPS TX launches, it will be the fastest radio out there by far. Of course, no one knows when it will launch...

The data from the testing done to show it was on par with the 8FG would be interesting to see because the table on the thread with the latency tests: http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t172571p1/ says that the Aurora was tested with an XPS module. And it was still three times the latency of the DX8 and four times that of the 8FG

The tests were done in eCCPM heli mixing mode so there is a possibility that in normal fixed wing mode the results may be a bit different but I'd expect the running order to be the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

wedoitall

so there is no REAL big difference is the dx8 and the 8fg as far as performance in flying 3d. 5ms on one test and 2ms on the other. going to drive to my closest hobby shop tomorrow to put some in my hands.