• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Question/ Discussion- IMAC- Downsizing Airframes and Airspace?

How important is it to see 35cc become more prevalent in IMAC?

• Very Important

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Important

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not important at all

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
B

Blucor Basher

I think it goes without saying that every aerobatic pilot in RC has at one time or another thought or talked about entering an IMAC competition. Those who never actually did seem to usually complain that in their area you need a giant Carden to score well. Irrespective of how true this may or may not be in any area, anything IMAC can do to dispel this notion would be a good thing.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I think it goes without saying that every aerobatic pilot in RC has at one time or another thought or talked about entering an IMAC competition. Those who never actually did seem to usually complain that in their area you need a giant Carden to score well. Irrespective of how true this may or may not be in any area, anything IMAC can do to dispel this notion would be a good thing.

Well, I'm a new judge and I will certainly keep the dialogue alive at any events I attend. It's not so much change that is needed, only more acceptance. The judges should not be influenced by the size of the airframe being flown as long as the airspace is used effectively (smaller airframe closer, smaller "box", larger would spread out a little more). The real limit is the length of time between maneuvers needs to be enough so the judge can calculate and scribe a score. Beyond that it is pilot "comfy" time to prepare for the next maneuver. That's one of the major reasons IAC has a BOX. Dynamic planning and orientation are part of the skill set. If IAC operated full scale on the same airspace limits an aerobatic competition in a full scale airframe would take up several counties!

There's rumblings of new competitions in the works that will be very exciting. Of course there is and will be a place for IMAC, I'm still interested. But, if it is to run as I understand it (a multi class, scale (not size) competition) then all size airframes as long as they are the correct scale should have a fair and equal chance (given all natural challenges of course). A small aircraft should not get a "mental downgrade" based on size from the judges. The downgrading takes place in the air not in the pits.

When i was just starting in pattern a friend of mine that was helping me flew masters. He used home built planes with a .60 2-stroke against custom built planes and YS 1.20.
He also seemed to win. Why? He was a top notch pilot. He could set up a plane better then anyone and he spent a lot of time practicing.
Now that he is older and married. Like all of us. He thought about control line aerobatics. He first time out in the nationals finished 2nd. Again home built plane and lots of fuel. some people just have the touch.
What I'm trying to say is, YES it can be done. I never been to any pattern or IMAC meet were you couldn't get help.
I have seen new guys will argue with a judge over a score because he thought he did better. The more experienced pilot will ask what he could do to be better.
What I have seen is people that fly to fast. Fly slow. the big planes appear slower even at the same speed. All the judges like to see slow and smooth. Dennis

dth7

Thanks Dennis. There's good conversation going on here and another thread so it's all good.

3DNinja

30cc
Well my fellow addicts of toy airplanes, there are 2 schools of thought when it comes to competition (and believe me, I have been on both ends.......) The first one is that competition (the sword) sharpens another. In this school of thought, we have to realize that the overall objective is to become a better pilot for nothing else than self improvement in our tiny world of our hobby. The second perspective is that some people feel the need to earn other enthusiast of our hobby respect by flying better than the other competitor so much to the fact that the said pilot will spend as much money as he/she can possibly afford to include sacrificing time from the loved ones and work to fly and hate the very thing that is to be achieved. In this school, some tend to think that the reason that they are not flying as good as the other competitor is because they do not have the correct airplane/heli and that it is hindering the said pilots skill. In order to achieve "spiritual greatness" in our obsession one needs to fly for ones self. A aircraft that cost "one penny" can out fly one that cost "one million dollars" given the pilot has put the stick time in.

dth7

Well my fellow addicts of toy airplanes, there are 2 schools of thought when it comes to competition (and believe me, I have been on both ends.......) The first one is that competition (the sword) sharpens another. In this school of thought, we have to realize that the overall objective is to become a better pilot for nothing else than self improvement in our tiny world of our hobby. The second perspective is that some people feel the need to earn other enthusiast of our hobby respect by flying better than the other competitor so much to the fact that the said pilot will spend as much money as he/she can possibly afford to include sacrificing time from the loved ones and work to fly and hate the very thing that is to be achieved. In this school, some tend to think that the reason that they are not flying as good as the other competitor is because they do not have the correct airplane/heli and that it is hindering the said pilots skill. In order to achieve "spiritual greatness" in our obsession one needs to fly for ones self. A aircraft that cost "one penny" can out fly one that cost "one million dollars" given the pilot has put the stick time in.

Namaste Sensei! Spoken like a true "Nija"

We see it everywhere, golf is another activity that "product" outweighs "productivity" More expensive must be better therefore I will be better if I spend more. I spend therefore I am! NOT!

I have participated in several hobby's in competitions over the years, bowling and golf. In these areas I did see competitors do any thing they could to get the edge. Me included. Winning was everything.
Now when I started in RC i found things quite different. I'm going to list just a few examples.
At a pattern meet there were two FAI pilots. The final flight the leader by .4 points had just finished. The number two pilot couldn't get his engine to start. He won, but no the #1 pilot went to the judges and ask for some time so he could pull his engine for the #2 pilot could fly.
At a TOC meet in Vegas. $40,000 prize money. A pilot rated in the top ten had his plane stolen. You would think all the other pilots would be happy. Again No. He had his choice of back up planes . Everybody wanted him to fly. And lastly at a Top Gun. One of the guys crashed on landing. Three other pilots and crew pulled a "all nighter" to put him back in the air.
I still compete in bowling and still want the other guy to mess up if I'm behind. but in RC I've found that everybody wants you do good. Dennis

dth7

Dennis that's the attitude of the Northeast region from the guys I've spoken with. I'm sure the majority are like this. Like society there are always a few in every group that make a bad name. I'm optimistic it will be a good season and some possible new competitions will emerge.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Dennis that's the attitude of the Northeast region from the guys I've spoken with. I'm sure the majority are like this. Like society there are always a few in every group that make a bad name. I'm optimistic it will be a good season and some possible new competitions will emerge.

I'd like to add that my previous relayed comments about IMAC were just what one person told me, and he might have had an axe to grind.

3DRCF is very supportive of IMAC, and hope we can all work together to make a 3D competition for those who want something different!

dth7

I'd like to add that my previous relayed comments about IMAC were just what one person told me, and he might have had an axe to grind.

3DRCF is very supportive of IMAC, and hope we can all work together to make a 3D competition for those who want something different!

Gary, I think we are on to something up here and I plan to help Cody all I can to develop and promote it. I appreciate your support and the support of 3DRCF as well. I think the 38 shootout is just the beginning.