• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Putting the Scale back in Scale Aerobatics

Scale Division of IMAC

• Im interested. Let's discuss this.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No, its all about precision not looks.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Yes, I'm all for it.

Votes: 16 47.1%

• Total voters

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
I'm not opposed to a separate scale competition. A static score and a flight score to replace freestyle would get my vote.

I am opposed to any aircraft limitations to the current IMAC contest.
Jerry...I'd agree 100% with your first statement! As for replacing the current freestyle, I haven't thought about that, but now that you mention it, it, that would be a good way to work it without adding to a busy schedule during most IMAC contests. Food for thought.

Hi Guys..... Just dropping in to make a few comments..... Fortunately, there HAS to be someone who can put a reality check in the loop. Being a past President for the last 4 years I can verify that MANY ideas come and go. Some are used and some are passed over as being unrealistic.

If you read past the third paragraph, then I know you are truly interested and have the WILL POWER to be involved into making things happen rather than coming up with ideas and not being prepared to DO THE WORK that is required to make the idea become a reality.

IMAC will be a 41 year old organization (started in 1974) come April (Toledo Show) and there have been many changes since it's inception, including:
Affiliation with the IAC. (1976)
IMAC and the TOC adopted the Aresti system. (1978)
Affiliation with AMA and named as the SIG for Scale Aerobatics (1980)
Chapter affiliation worldwide, developed the (2%) biplane bonus (1982)
Flying and Judging Video created (Carter/Eich) (1986)
Adobe graphics created for IMAC (Chris Walsh) (1993)
IMAC membership records computerized (Allan Young) (1994)
Newsletter goes on IMAC website (2000)
Mini-Mac introduced
Intermediate Class introduced
IMAC National Instructor's training introduced (2002)
Comprehensive Rule Book make-over w/ graphics (2002)
National Sound Task Force introduced
IMAC Sequence Committee introduced
IMAC Rules Committee introduced
IMAC new website created (2009)
IMAC SCORE! program introduced
IMAC Regional Points System introduced (National)
IMAC Seniors Points System introduced (National)
IMAC Education Committee introduced
IMAC On-line Judging School introduced
IMAC's FIRST World Championship held in Muncie IN (USA) (89 pilots from 13 countries participated) 2014
IMAC International World Competition Committee introduced

There were many more items that could be added above but in the name of expediency, they were left out..... If you are still with me...then we can continue. The above just goes to show that the development of IMAC is NOT stagnant but steadily progressive.

The idea that SCALE judging should be added to IMAC is one that WILL take many hours of research, development, specific rules (not harum scarum) and particularly MANPOWER, to get off the ground. At present, IMAC has ALWAYS had judging issues and had introduced a series of Judging Schools, nationally, to get everyone understanding, flying and judging from the same criteria. At that time there were regional interpretations of the rulebook and became more apparent when the various pilots from the 6 regions met up in competition (NATS/TAS/Don Lowe Masters/Clover Creek) etc.

So.... to get this off the ground..... YOU have to start working on the development and go to the IMAC BOD with a SOLID PROPOSAL of how it all can work with everything all laid out. Do NOT expect someone else to do ALL THIS WORK FOR YOU, after you have come up with the idea. Life just does not work that way. No on one the IMAC BOD gets paid.... it is all voluntary....

So..... again.... get all your ducks in a row.... use the relevant RFA Form (Request for Action) and then have a meeting with the BOD to get it all started. If you are NOT prepared to go through all of that....why do you think the BOD will do so?

You could always do some research in your particular area and request the CD at your contest to consider it and make the rules ....and give it a test run..... You MAY be surprised at the reaction of all the competing pilots at the contest (one way or the other).
Wayne

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Thanks Wayne for your input, and please feel free to add more and/or pass this thread along to others. What I think this thread is about (right now) is a place to share ideas and see if there is a real interest in pursuing this (DOING THE WORK!!!). It is certainly a start of a conversation and may or may not lead to something down the road. But, of course YOU know how a vision can unfold and become reality!!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thanks Wayne for your input, and please feel free to add more and/or pass this thread along to others. What I think this thread is about (right now) is a place to share ideas and see if there is a real interest in pursuing this (DOING THE WORK!!!). It is certainly a start of a conversation and may or may not lead to something down the road. But, of course YOU know how a vision can unfold and become reality!!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers:
True....True... Earle..... and, like Jerry, I am not negative with the idea at all... I just wanted to point out that ideas can easily die on the vine if the originators are not prepared to get down and dirty in the trenches.

A good place to start is firstly with the AMA SIG Scale organization to see what they do.
Wayne

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Thank you for the direction on where to begin Wayne, and I think we'll need alot more interest than 10 positive votes to generate an interest for the BOD to consider this seriously just yet.

I dont know about this replacing freestyle though , day one theres little to no public interest from an IMAC event, day two for the freestyle "halftime" theres almost always a nice crowd of spectators to ooh and ahh for the freestyle.
Agreed, it'll be a challenge to introduce this to the already full days of an event. Im thinking a Scale demo and some static judging for both purpose built imac machines and scale , that do not effect your total scores , may be a good starting place? Anyone registered can sign up for freestyle already so why not?
And agreed Jerry, I do NOT want restrictions on current aircraft, its why we spend the time and monies on uber cool and ultra powerfull engines and gear and build/buy the best precision kits available ,to have that advantage and perfect flight.
Its kinda funny, I dont even have a plane to enter in said class, but I sure in the heck will IF we can get this idea literally " off the ground".

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Something like this Jung would be my entry, maybe in the Esso airshow scheme. Radial.. lots of smoke.
Bucker-Jungmiester-C-300.jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Earle, this site is PG-13! Nothing so sexy should be shown in public!

@Silver Fox regarding judging schools, have you ever considered teaming up with IAC and running one judging school? it's a dot in the sky after all, full scale or models, the criteria should be the same, no? IAC also have issues fielding judges so maybe there's enough common ground to make discussing it worthwhile?

If this idea takes hold I'd love to field my 89" Spinks Akromaster!

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
@Bartman ....the most significant difference is IAC judges the aircraft attitude (for most figures), not the track. Track is judged on level lines. Wind correction is done with crossbox maneuvers in the sequences, as crabbing or yawing to maintain track is downgraded.